Awake Prone Position in Hypoxemic Patients With Coronavirus Disease 19 COVID-19 (COVI-PRONE) (COVI-PRONE)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04350723|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : April 17, 2020
Last Update Posted : October 15, 2021
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Corona Virus Infection Covid19 COVID-19||Procedure: Awake Proning||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||400 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||A multicenter, parallel-group randomized controlled trial|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Awake Prone Position in Hypoxemic Patients With Coronavirus Disease 19 (COVI-PRONE): A Randomized Clinical Trial|
|Actual Study Start Date :||June 10, 2020|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||July 17, 2021|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||July 17, 2021|
Experimental: Intervention - Awake Proning
The oxygen mask or NIPPV or HFNC will be initiated at the treating team's discretion. The patient will be observed for 15 minutes to ensure that: SPO2 > 90% and the patient is tolerating oxygen mask or NIPPV or HFNC treatment.
Once the patient achieves the above parameters within 15 minutes of initiating oxygen therapy through any modality, the healthcare team will start awake proning.
Procedure: Awake Proning
The duration of proning will be a total of 8-10 hours with 1-2 hours break in supine position.
No Intervention: Control - Standard of Care
The patient will receive usual care without proning at the discretion of the treating team.
The oxygen mask or NIPPV or HFNC will be initiated, the choice of starting oxygen mask versus NIPPV versus HFNC will be up to the treating team, the patient will be observed for 15 minutes to ensure that: SPO2 > 90% and the patient is tolerating NIPPV or HFNC treatment.
- Endotracheal intubation [ Time Frame: within 30 days of randomization ]Medical procedure in which a tube is placed into the windpipe (trachea) through the mouth.
- Mortality [ Time Frame: 60 days ]Death
- Invasive mechanical ventilation free days [ Time Frame: censored at 30 Days ]Number of days not receiving mechanical ventilation
- Non-invasive ventilation free days [ Time Frame: censored 30 days ]Number of days not receiving non-invasive mechanical ventilation
- Days alive and outside ICU [ Time Frame: 60 Days ]Number of days alive and outside the ICU
- Days alive and outside of hospital [ Time Frame: 60 days ]Number of days alive and outside of hospital
- Complications from proning, [ Time Frame: 30 days ]Includes any of the following: accidental removal of intravenous access, hypotension, pressure injuries, or other.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04350723
|Principal Investigator:||Waleed Alhazzani||St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton|
|Principal Investigator:||Yaseen Arabi||King Saud Bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences|
|Principal Investigator:||Zainab Alduhailib||King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Jeddah|