Study Evaluating the Tolerance and Biologic Activity of Oral Ciclopirox Olamine in Patients With Relapsed or Refractory Hematologic Malignancy
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00990587|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : October 7, 2009
Last Update Posted : June 22, 2015
This is an open-label, single arm study. Approximately 3-30 patients will be enrolled. Patients will receive Oral ciclopirox olamine (aqueous suspension), initial starting dose of 5 mg/m2/day administered as a single dose daily for 5 days. Three patients will initially be treated at each dose level in sequential cohorts. Dose escalation will continue for each subsequent cohort based on toxicity and plasma drug concentrations observed during the previous cohort. Dose escalation will continue until establishment of the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) has been met.
Patients who have demonstrated response to treatment, up to 6 total cycles of treatment may be administered. If additional cycles are warranted, ciclopirox olamine will be given at the same dose and frequency as the patient initially received.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Hematologic Malignancy Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Myelodysplasia Acute Myeloid Leukemia Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia Hodgkin's Disease||Drug: Ciclopirox Olamine||Phase 1|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||20 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Phase 1 Study Evaluating the Tolerance and Biologic Activity of Oral Ciclopirox Olamine in Patients With Relapsed or Refractory Hematologic Malignancy|
|Study Start Date :||October 2009|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||May 2013|
Experimental: Ciclopirox Olamine
Patients will take Ciclopirox Olamine at escalating doses depending on when they enter into the trial.
Drug: Ciclopirox Olamine
Patients will take Ciclopirox Olamine at various doses depending on which dose level they come into the study at. Ciclopirox olamine will be administered orally as an aqueous suspension without food. The starting dose will be 5 mg/m2/day administered as a single dose daily for 5 days (one cycle). Once a MTD has been determined, the new patients that enter into the trial will then take it at that level.
- To evaluate the dose-limiting toxicity, maximum tolerated dose, and recommended phase II dose of ciclopirox olamine. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
- To evaluate maximum tolerated dose. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
- To evaluate recommended phase II dose of ciclopirox olamine. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
- To determine the pharmacodynamic effects of ciclopirox olamine on survivin expression, and relate to the steady-state plasma concentrations of ciclopirox olamine. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
- To determine the response rate of ciclopirox olamine. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
- To characterize the pharmacokinetics (PK) of ciclopirox olamine in patients with relapsed or refractory hematologic malignancy. [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00990587
|Canada, British Columbia|
|Vancouver General Hospital|
|Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V5Z 1M9|
|Princess Margaret Hospital|
|Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5G 2M9|
|Principal Investigator:||Mark Minden, MD||Princess Margaret Hospital, Canada|