Obstructive Sleep Apnea Among Somali-Americans (Somali OSA)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04124848|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : October 11, 2019
Last Update Posted : October 11, 2019
|Condition or disease|
|Obstructive Sleep Apnea|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Estimated Enrollment :||100 participants|
|Official Title:||Evaluating the Prevalence and Implications of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Among Somali-Americans: A Translational Research Study|
|Estimated Study Start Date :||October 14, 2019|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 31, 2028|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 31, 2028|
Study participants who are of Somali origin.
Study participants who are not of Somali origin.
- To assess the prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea [ Time Frame: 10 years ]Measure the apnea-hypopnea index (AHI) to determine burden of obstructive sleep apnea. Based on the AHI, sleep apnea will be diagnosed if the AHI is ≥5 events/hour.
- To determine the severity of obstructive sleep apnea [ Time Frame: 10 years ]The severity of OSA is classified based on the AHI as follows: None/Minimal: AHI < 5 per hour, Mild: AHI ≥ 5, but < 15 per hour, Moderate: AHI ≥ 15, but < 30 per hour, Severe: AHI ≥ 30 per hour.
- 24 hour mean arterial pressure [ Time Frame: 10 years ]Ambulatory measure of blood pressure in mmHg
- Vascular endothelial function [ Time Frame: 10 years ]Change in brachial artery diameter in response to hyperemia
- Insulin sensitivity [ Time Frame: 10 years ]Oral glucose tolerance testing
- Body composition [ Time Frame: 10 years ]Percentage body fat content
Biospecimen Retention: Samples With DNA
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04124848
|Contact: Essa Mohamed, PhD||507-255-4169||Mohamed.Essa@mayo.edu|
|Contact: Jasmine Sexton||507-538-7178||Sexton.Jasmine@mayo.edu|
|United States, Minnesota|
|Rochester, Minnesota, United States, 55905|
|Contact: Essa Mohamed, PhD 507-255-4169 Mohamed.Essa@mayo.edu|
|Contact: Jasmine Sexton 507-538-7178 Sexton.Jasmine@mayo.edu|
|Principal Investigator: Virend Somers, MD, PhD|
|Sub-Investigator: Essa A. Mohamed, PhD|
|Sub-Investigator: Erik K. St Louis, MD|
|Sub-Investigator: Meghna P. Mansukhani, MD|
|Sub-Investigator: C. Anwar A. Chahal, MBChB, PhD|
|Sub-Investigator: Nasra H. Giama, DNP, RN|
|Sub-Investigator: Joyce E. Balls-Berry, PhD|
|Sub-Investigator: Fowsiyo Ahmed, MBBS|
|Principal Investigator:||Virend Somers, MD||Mayo Clinic|