Autologous Dendritic Cells Loaded With Autologous Tumor Associated Antigens for Treatment of Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03400917|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : January 17, 2018
Last Update Posted : December 16, 2021
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma||Biological: AV-GBM-1||Phase 2|
This is a single-arm, open-label phase II clinical trial in which approximately 55 patients will be enrolled with the intent to receive AV-GBM-1. Patients eligible for treatment will be those (1) who have recovered from surgery such that they are about to begin concurrent chemotherapy and radiation therapy (CT/RT), (2) for whom an autologous tumor cell line has been established, (3) have a KPS of > 70, and (4) have undergone successful leukapheresis from which peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC) were obtained that can be used to generate dendritic cells (DC).
The primary endpoint of this trial is overall survival (OS), death from any cause measured from the date of study enrollment for treatment with AV-GBM-1. Secondary endpoints will include (1) PFS measured from date of enrollment, (2) OS/PFS measured from date of diagnosis and (3) OS/PFS from date of enrollment based on KPS, age, and extent of surgical resection. Tertiary endpoints will include (1) OS/PFS from date of first injection and (2) OS/PFS from date of first injection in patients who completed concurrent CT/RT and had not progressed.
Patient Population: Patients 18 years or older with newly diagnosed glioblastoma [World Health Organization (WHO) Grade IV glioma, Grade IV anaplastic astrocytoma, glioblastoma or gliosarcoma, glioblastoma multiforme (GBM)] who have recovered from surgery, for whom an autologous tumor cell culture and leukapheresis product are available, who have a KPS of > 70, and who are about to begin concurrent CT/RT.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||55 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Phase II Trial of Autologous Dendritic Cells Loaded With Autologous Tumor Associated Antigens (AV-GBM-1) as an Adjunctive Therapy Following Primary Surgery Plus Concurrent Chemoradiation in Patients With Newly Diagnosed Glioblastoma|
|Actual Study Start Date :||June 20, 2018|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||December 1, 2021|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||February 2023|
Autologous dendritic cells loaded with tumor associated antigens from a short-term cell culture of autologous tumor cells. AV-GBM-1 is admixed with granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF) as an adjuvant, prior to injection.
Investigational treatment with AV-GBM-1
- Primary Efficacy Endpoint: Overall Survival [ Time Frame: 3 years ]Overall Survival: time to death from date of enrollment for intent-to-treat with AV-GBM-1
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years to 70 Years (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
- Karnofsky Performance Score of 70-100%
- Histology confirmed to be GBM (Grade IV WHO, glioblastoma, gliosarcoma)
- Successful establishment of an autologous cancer cell line by AIVITA Biomedical, Inc.
- Collection of a satisfactory leukapheresis product
- About to begin concurrent CT/RT
- Given written informed consent to participate in the study
- Known to have active hepatitis B or C or HIV
- Karnofsky Performance Score of < 70%
- Known underlying cardiac disease associated with myocardial dysfunction that requires active medical treatment, or unstable angina related to atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease, or under treatment for arterial or venous peripheral vascular disease
- Diagnosis of any other invasive cancer or other disease process which is considered to be life-threatening within the next five years, and/or taking anti-cancer therapy for cancer other than GBM
- Active infection or other active medical condition that could be eminently life-threatening, including active blood clotting or bleeding diathesis.
- Known autoimmune disease, immunodeficiency, or disease process that involves the chronic use of immunosuppressive therapy.
- Received another investigational drug within 28 days of the first dose or are planning to receive another investigational drug while receiving this investigational treatment.
- Known hypersensitivity to GM-CSF
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03400917
|United States, California|
|La Jolla, California, United States, 92037|
|UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center|
|La Jolla, California, United States, 92037|
|Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian|
|Newport Beach, California, United States, 92663|
|UC Irvine Medical Center|
|Orange, California, United States, 92868|
|UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center|
|Sacramento, California, United States, 95817|
|John Wayne Cancer Institute|
|Santa Monica, California, United States, 90404|
|United States, Kentucky|
|Norton Cancer Institute|
|Louisville, Kentucky, United States, 40202|
|United States, New Jersey|
|Rutgers Cancer Institute|
|New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States, 08903|
|Study Chair:||Robert O Dillman, MD||Aivita Biomedical, Inc.|
|Responsible Party:||Aivita Biomedical, Inc.|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||January 17, 2018 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||December 16, 2021|
|Last Verified:||December 2021|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Drug Product:||Yes|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Device Product:||No|
Neoplasms, Germ Cell and Embryonal
Neoplasms by Histologic Type
Neoplasms, Glandular and Epithelial
Neoplasms, Nerve Tissue