A Study of Meningococcal Vaccine, Menactra® in Healthy Subjects in India
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01086969|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : March 15, 2010
Results First Posted : February 3, 2012
Last Update Posted : February 6, 2012
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- Study Results
- How to Read a Study Record
The purpose of this study is to assess the safety and immunogenicity of a single dose of Menactra® vaccine to support registration.
- To describe the antibody titers measured by serum bactericidal activity using baby rabbit complement (SBA-BR) before and after Menactra® vaccination.
- To describe the safety profile of participants after one dose of Menactra®.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Meningococcal Infection Meningitis||Biological: Meningococcal Polysaccharide Diphtheria Toxoid Conjugate (Menactra®)||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||300 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Safety and Immunogenicity Study for Use of Meningococcal (Groups A, C, Y and W-135) Polysaccharide Diphtheria Toxoid Conjugate Vaccine (Menactra®) in Healthy Subjects 2-55 Years of Age in India|
|Study Start Date :||June 2010|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||February 2011|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||June 2011|
Experimental: Study Group
Participants in three age cohorts - Children: 2 - 11 years of age; Adolescents: 12 - 17 years of age, and Adults: 18 - 55 years of age will be enrolled.
Biological: Meningococcal Polysaccharide Diphtheria Toxoid Conjugate (Menactra®)
0.5 mL, Intramuscular
Other Name: Menactra®
- Number of Participants With Vaccine Antibody Titers at ≥ 8 Before and After Menactra Vaccination [ Time Frame: Baseline and 21 days post-vaccination ]Antibodies to Menactra vaccine were measured by the Serum bactericidal assay baby rabbit complement (SBA BR) Test.
- Serum Bactericidal Assay Baby Rabbit Complement (SBA BR) Geometric Mean Titers Before and Post Menactra Vaccination [ Time Frame: Day 0 and Day 30 post-vaccination ]Antibodies to Menactra antigens determined by the serum bactericidal assay baby rabbit complement (SBA-BR) test.
- Percentage of Participants With at Least a 4-fold Increase in Antibodies to Menactra Vaccine Antigens Post Vaccination [ Time Frame: Day 0 to 30 post-vaccination ]Antibodies to Menactra antigens determined by the serum bactericidal assay baby rabbit complement (SBA-BR) test.
- Number of Participants Reporting a Solicited Injection Site or Systemic Reactions Following Menactra Vaccination [ Time Frame: Day 0 to 7 post-vaccination ]Solicited injection site: Pain, Erythema (Redness), and Swelling. Solicited Systemic reaction: Fever (Temperature), Headache, Malaise, and Myalgia
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||2 Years to 55 Years (Child, Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||Yes|
Inclusion Criteria :
- Aged 2 to 11 years or Aged 12 to 17 years or Aged 18 to 55 years of age on the day of inclusion
- For participants aged 2 to 11 years: Provision of informed consent form signed by the parent(s) or legal representative.
- For participants aged 12 to 17 years: Provision of assent form signed by the participant and informed consent form signed by the parent(s) or legal representative.
- For participants aged 18 to 55 years: Provision of informed consent form signed by the participant. If the participant or the participant's parents or legally accepted representative (participants aged 2 to 17 years) are illiterate, an independent witness is required to sign the consent form.
- Participant and parent/legally acceptable representative (if applicable) able to attend all scheduled visits and comply with all trial procedures
- For a woman of child-bearing potential, sexually active, use of a medically acceptable and effective method of contraception for at least 4 weeks prior to vaccination, until at least 4 weeks after vaccination (not applicable for participants aged 2 to 17 years' females not of child-bearing potential or not sexually active)
Exclusion Criteria :
- For a woman of child-bearing potential sexually active, known or suspected pregnancy or positive serum/urine pregnancy test (not applicable for participants aged 2 to 17 years' females not of child-bearing potential or not sexually active)
- Breast-feeding woman
- Participation in another clinical trial investigating a vaccine, drug, medical device, or a medical procedure in the 4 weeks preceding the trial vaccination
- Planned participation in another clinical trial during the present trial period
- Known or suspected congenital or acquired immunodeficiency, immunosuppressive therapy such as anti-cancer chemotherapy or radiation therapy within the preceding 6 months, or long-term systemic corticosteroids therapy
- Known systemic hypersensitivity to any of the vaccine components or history of a life-threatening reaction to the trial vaccine or to a vaccine containing any of the same substances
- Chronic illness, at a stage that could interfere with trial conduct or completion, in the opinion of the investigator
- Current alcohol abuse or drug addiction that may interfere with the subject's ability to comply with trial procedures
- Receipt of blood or blood-derived products in the past 3 months, that might interfere with the assessment of immune response
- Receipt or planned receipt of any vaccine (other than influenza vaccine which can be given 2 weeks or more before vaccination) in the 4 weeks preceding or following the trial vaccination
- Known Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), Hepatitis B surface (HBs) antigen , or Hepatitis C seropositivity as reported by the participant/parent/guardian and/or based on medical history
- History of documented invasive meningococcal disease
- Previous vaccination against meningococcal disease with either the trial vaccine or another vaccine
- Thrombocytopenia, bleeding disorder or anticoagulants in the 3 weeks preceding inclusion contraindicating intramuscular vaccination
- Subjects deprived of freedom by an administrative or court order, or in an emergency setting, or hospitalized without his/her consent
- Personal or family history of Guillain-Barré Syndrome
Temporary contraindications delaying vaccination until resolved:
- Febrile illness (temperature ≥38.0°C) or moderate or severe acute illness/infection on the day of vaccination
- Received oral or injected antibiotic therapy within the 72 hours prior to any blood draw
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01086969
|Bangalore, India, 560070|
|Mumbai, India, 400022|
|New Delhi, India, 110002|
|Study Director:||Medical Director||Sanofi Pasteur SA.|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
UTN: U1111-1111-5608 ( Other Identifier: WHO )
|First Posted:||March 15, 2010 Key Record Dates|
|Results First Posted:||February 3, 2012|
|Last Update Posted:||February 6, 2012|
|Last Verified:||February 2012|
Nervous System Diseases
Gram-Negative Bacterial Infections
Bacterial Infections and Mycoses