Standardized Extract of Cultured Lentinula Edodes Mycelia (AHCC®) in Ovarian Cancer Patients on Adjuvant Chemotherapy
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT05763199|
Recruitment Status : Not yet recruiting
First Posted : March 10, 2023
Last Update Posted : March 10, 2023
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Ovarian Epithelial Carcinoma Fallopian Tube Carcinoma Peritoneal Carcinoma||Drug: AHCC Drug: Chemotherapy Other: Placebo||Phase 2|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||20 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Feasibility Pilot Study of a Standardized Extract of Cultured Lentinula Edodes Mycelia (AHCC®) on Quality of Life for Ovarian Cancer Patients on Adjuvant Chemotherapy|
|Estimated Study Start Date :||March 1, 2023|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||November 1, 2025|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||February 1, 2027|
Experimental: Standardized Extract of Cultured Lentinula Edodes Mycelia (AHCC®)
AHCC 3g PO Daily
AHCC is the cultured mycelia of Lentinula edodes mushrooms from the Basidiomycetes family.
Other Name: A standardized extract of cultured Lentinula edodes mycelia
Chemotherapy will be administered per standard of care.
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
Placebo PO Daily
Chemotherapy will be administered per standard of care.
- Proportion of participants randomized to taking AHCC or placebo during adjuvant chemotherapy [ Time Frame: Study activation to randomization of 20th participant, which is estimated to be up to 1 year post study activation ]
- Time required to randomize 20 participants [ Time Frame: Study activation to randomization of 20th participant, which is estimated to be up to 1 year post study activation ]
- Proportion of participants that complete study treatment [ Time Frame: First dose through Cycle 3-6 post adjuvant chemotherapy; each cycle is 3 weeks ]
- Proportion of participants that adhere to taking study treatment [ Time Frame: First dose through Cycle 3-6 post adjuvant chemotherapy; each cycle is 3 weeks ]
- Adherence to taking study treatment for each participant [ Time Frame: First dose through Cycle 3-6 post adjuvant chemotherapy; each cycle is 3 weeks ]
- Proportion of participants that adhere to completing the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy - Ovarian (FACT-O) [ Time Frame: Baseline through 30d post last dose ]All health-related quality of life assessments use a 5 point Likert-type scale and is scored based on a manual scoring template, some items are reverse scored; the higher the score, the better the quality of life.
- Proportion of participants that adhere to completing the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy/Gynecologic Oncology Group - Neurotoxicity (FACT/GOG-NTX) [ Time Frame: Baseline through 30d post last dose ]All health-related quality of life assessments use a 5 point Likert-type scale and is scored based on a manual scoring template, some items are reverse scored; the higher the score, the better the quality of life.
- Proportion of participants that adhere to completing the Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy - Endocrine Symptoms (FACT-ES) [ Time Frame: Baseline through 30d post last dose ]All health-related quality of life assessments use a 5 point Likert-type scale and is scored based on a manual scoring template, some items are reverse scored; the higher the score, the better the quality of life.
- Participant experience self-reported in the acceptability questionnaire compared to self-reported anticipated acceptability [ Time Frame: Baseline and at end of treatment (about 9-18 weeks post adjuvant chemotherapy) ]The acceptability questionnaire measures the following ordinal data listed in order of most acceptable to least acceptable: strongly agree, agree, neutral, disagree, and strongly disagree.
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years and older (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||Female|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
Histologically or cytologically confirmed epithelial ovarian, fallopian tube or peritoneal carcinoma
- High-grade or low-grade serous, mucinous, endometrioid, clear cell, mixed or other histologies allowed
- Clinical stage I-IV at diagnosis
Treatment decision to include standard-of-care adjuvant chemotherapy after primary or interval debulking surgery, or initial staging surgery. Chemotherapy should include a platinum and a taxane doublet.
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy is allowed (no washout period will be required)
- Any combination of platinum and taxane doublet is allowed (i.e., carboplatin, cisplatin, paclitaxel, or docetaxel)
- Different schedules of platinum and taxane doublet are allowed (i.e., every 21 days, dose-dense or weekly)
- Bevacizumab is allowed
- Age greater than or equal to 18 years of age
- English or Spanish-speaking individuals
- ECOG performance status less than or equal to 2 (Karnofsky greater than or equal to 60%)
Organ and bone marrow function defined by:
- Leukocytes greater than or equal to 2,500/µL
- Absolute Neutrophil Count greater than or equal to 1,000/µL
- Platelets greater than or equal to 75,000/µL
- Hemoglobin greater than or equal to 8 g/dL
- Total Bilirubin less than or equal to 1.5 × institutional upper limit of normal (ULN) (however, patients with known Gilbert disease who have serum bilirubin level less than or equal to 3 x ULN may be enrolled)
- AST(SGOT)/ALT(SGPT) less than or equal to 3 × ULN (AST and/or ALT less than or equal to 5 x ULN for patients with liver involvement)
- Alkaline Phosphatase less than or equal to 2.5 × ULN (less than or equal to 5 x ULN for patients with documented liver involvement or bone metastases)
- Creatinine Clearance or GFR greater than or equal to 30 mL/min by Cockcroft-Gault or 30 mL/min/1.73m2
- Individuals of child-bearing potential must agree to use adequate contraception (hormonal or barrier method of birth control; abstinence) for the duration of study participation (including dosing interruptions) and for at least 5 months (150 days) after the last dose of study agent or the duration specified in the USPI for any of the agents used in the adjuvant standard-of-care regimen, whichever is longest. Patients must agree to refrain from egg donation during this timeframe.
- Ability to understand and the willingness to sign a written informed consent document
Patients with known human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) are allowed in the study, but HIV-positive patients must have:
- A stable regimen of highly active anti-retroviral therapy (HAART)
- No requirement for concurrent antibiotics or antifungal agents for the prevention of opportunistic infections
- A CD4 count above 250 cells/µL and an undetectable HIV viral load on standard PCR-based tests within the last year.
- History of allergic reactions to mushrooms
- History of allergic reaction to dextrin
- History of allergic reaction to rapeseed oil
- History of allergic reaction to corn
Consumption of other supplements derived from mushrooms or basidiomycetes
- Consumption of whole mushrooms through diet is acceptable
- Consumption of a blend with unknown/ unclear mushrooms or basidiomycetes contents, then it is ok to include participant
Current or prior (within 3 months of enrollment) use of immunosuppressive medications (including, but not limited to, prednisone, cyclophosphamide, azathioprine, methotrexate, thalidomide, and anti-tumor necrosis factor [anti-TNF] agents). The following are exceptions to this criterion:
- Intranasal, inhaled, topical or local steroid injections (e.g., intra-articular injection); steroids as premedication for hypersensitivity reactions; systemic corticosteroid at physiologic doses not to exceed 10 mg/day of prednisone or equivalent may be enrolled.
- Patients who have received acute, low dose, systemic immunosuppressant medications (e.g., a one-time dose of dexamethasone for nausea) may be enrolled.
- The use of inhaled corticosteroids and mineralocorticoids (e.g., fludrocortisone) for patients with orthostatic hypotension or adrenocortical insufficiency is allowed.
- Uncontrolled intercurrent illness including, but not limited to, ongoing or active infection, symptomatic congestive heart failure, unstable angina pectoris, cardiac arrhythmia, or psychiatric illness/social situations that would interfere with patient safety or limit compliance with study requirements.
- Inability to swallow experimental agent or placebo
- History of gastrectomy or other malabsorption syndromes
- Subjects who are pregnant or breast-feeding
- Any condition that would prohibit the understanding or rendering of informed consent
- Any medical condition that in the opinion of the investigator would interfere with the patient's safety or compliance while on trial.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT05763199
|Contact: Selina Laquifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|United States, California|
|University of California Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center|
|Sacramento, California, United States, 95817|
|Principal Investigator:||Hui Chen, MD||University of California, Davis|
|Responsible Party:||University of California, Davis|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||March 10, 2023 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||March 10, 2023|
|Last Verified:||February 2023|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Drug Product:||Yes|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Device Product:||No|
Standardized extract of cultured Lentinula edodes mycelia
Carcinoma, Ovarian Epithelial
Neoplasms, Glandular and Epithelial
Neoplasms by Histologic Type
Endocrine Gland Neoplasms
Neoplasms by Site
Genital Neoplasms, Female
Endocrine System Diseases