Study of Safety, Tolerability, and Biological Activity of LAM-002A in C9ORF72-Associated Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT05163886|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : December 20, 2021
Last Update Posted : August 12, 2022
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis ALS||Drug: LAM-002A Other: Placebo||Phase 2|
This is a Phase 2a, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, biomarker-driven clinical trial evaluating the safety, tolerability, and biological effect of LAM-002A in approximately 12 adults with C9ORF72-associated ALS (C9ALS).
In Part A of the study, approximately twelve C9ALS participants will receive either standard of care plus LAM-002A or standard of care and placebo (randomized 2:1) for the first 12 weeks of the study (Core Study). LAM-002A will be administered as oral capsules 125 mg BID (250 mg total daily dose). The LAM-002A dose may be reduced to 100 mg BID (200 mg total daily dose) if expected gastrointestinal side effects develop.
Participants who complete the first 12 weeks of the Core Study will be eligible to receive active drug (LAM-002A capsules at maximum tolerated dose of 125 or 100 mg BID) for the remainder of the study (open-label extension [OLE]) up to Week 24.
In Part B of the study, participants who complete Part A Week 24 on study drug, will be offered the opportunity to opt-in to continue the open label extension for additional 36 weeks starting at the week 24 visit. Participants who elect not to roll over into the Treatment period B will complete the Day 168 visit, followed a final safety telephone call visit at week 28 to complete study participation. Participants who opt-in to the open label extension for an additional 36 weeks will have their end of study safety telephone call at week 64.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||14 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||Double-blind, placebo-controlled|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||A Phase IIa Trial to Evaluate the Safety, Tolerability, and Biological Activity of LAM-002A (Apilimod Dimesylate Capsules) in C9ORF72-Associated Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis|
|Actual Study Start Date :||December 23, 2021|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 10, 2022|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||September 10, 2023|
LAM-002A will be administered orally in five 25 mg capsules twice a day (250 mg total daily dose).
LAM-002A (apilimod dimesylate) is formulated in capsules containing 25 mg of apilimod dimesylate. The capsule is Swedish orange, size 0.
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
Placebo matching LAM-002A will be administered orally in 5 capsules twice a day.
Microcrystalline cellulose in Swedish orange, size 0 capsules.
- Safety of LAM-002A: occurrence of TEAEs [ Time Frame: 28 Weeks ]The occurrence of serious and non-serious treatment-emergent adverse events (TEAEs) and clinically significant treatment-emergent abnormalities in clinical and laboratory values.
- Tolerability of LAM-002A: completion of core study treatment [ Time Frame: 12 Weeks ]The percentage of participants who complete 12 weeks on study treatment during the Core Study.
- Plasma Pharmacokinetics of LAM-002A [ Time Frame: 24 Weeks ]The levels of LAM-002 and metabolites in plasma levels.
- CSF Pharmacokinetics of LAM-002A [ Time Frame: 24 Weeks ]The levels of LAM-002 and metabolites in cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) levels.
- Changes in biomarkers [ Time Frame: 24 Weeks ]Changes in plasma and CSF levels of a LAM-002A-induced biomarker.
- Tolerability of LAM-002A: completion of open-label study treatment [ Time Frame: 12 Weeks ]Secondary measures of tolerability will consider completion of 12 weeks on open-label study treatment during the OLE.
- Changes in ALSFRS-R [ Time Frame: 28 Weeks ]Change in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Functional Rating Scale Revised (ALSFRS-R) total and domain scores. Score ranges from 0-48 with the higher the score indicating better function.
- Changes in Vital Capacity [ Time Frame: 24 Weeks ]Change in vital capacity (VC).
- Permanent assisted ventilation-free survival [ Time Frame: 24 Weeks ]Change in percent of ventilation-free survival summaries.
- Changes in ALS-CBS [ Time Frame: 24 Weeks ]Change in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Cognitive Behavioral Scale (ALS-CBS). Comprised of two sub-scores. The cognitive sub-score is rated 0-20 with the higher the score the better patient cognitive function. The caregiver sub-score is rated 0-45 with the higher the score the better patient cognitive function as assessed by their caregiver.
- Exploratory biomarkers [ Time Frame: 24 Weeks ]Analysis of exploratory disease related biomarkers.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT05163886
|United States, Iowa|
|University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics|
|Iowa City, Iowa, United States, 52242|
|United States, Maryland|
|Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine|
|Baltimore, Maryland, United States, 21205|
|United States, Massachusetts|
|Massachusetts General Hospital|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02114|
|Principal Investigator:||Suma Babu, M.D.||Massachusetts General Hospital|