Losartan for Patients With COVID-19 Requiring Hospitalization
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04312009|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : March 17, 2020
Results First Posted : June 29, 2022
Last Update Posted : June 29, 2022
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Corona Virus Infection Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome SARS-CoV Infection||Drug: Losartan Other: Placebo||Phase 2|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||205 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Randomized Controlled Trial of Losartan for Patients With COVID-19 Requiring Hospitalization|
|Actual Study Start Date :||April 13, 2020|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||February 1, 2021|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||February 1, 2021|
Participants in this arm will receive the study drug, Losartan.
Losartan; 50 mg daily; oral administration
Other Name: Cozaar
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
Participants in this arm will receive a placebo treatment.
Placebo (microcrystalline methylcellulose, gelatin capsule); oral administration
- Difference in Estimated (PEEP Adjusted) P/F Ratio at 7 Days [ Time Frame: 7 days ]Outcome calculated from the partial pressure of oxygen or peripheral saturation of oxygen by pulse oximetry divided by the fraction of inspired oxygen (PaO2 or SaO2 : FiO2 ratio). PaO2 is preferentially used if available. A correction is applied for endotracheal intubation and/or positive end-expiratory pressure. Patients discharged prior to day 7 will have a home pulse oximeter send home for measurement of the day 7 value, and will be adjusted for home O2 use, if applicable. Patients who died will be applied a penalty with a P/F ratio of 0.
- Daily Hypotensive Episodes [ Time Frame: 10 days ]Outcome reported as the mean number of daily hypotensive episodes (MAP < 65 mmHg) prompting intervention (indicated by a fluid bolus >=500 mL) per participant in each arm.
- Proportion of Participants Requiring Vasopressors for Hypotension [ Time Frame: 10 days ]Outcome reported as the number of participants in each arm requiring the use of vasopressors for hypotension.
- Proportion of Participants Experiencing Acute Kidney Injury [ Time Frame: 10 days ]
Outcome reported as the number of participants in each arm who experience acute kidney injury as defined by the Kidney Disease Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) guidelines:
Increase in serum creatinine by 0.3mg/dL or more within 48 hours OR Increase in serum creatinine to 1.5 times baseline or more within the last 7 days OR Urine output less than 0.5 mL/kg/h for 6 hours.
- Oxygen Saturation / Fractional Inhaled Oxygen (S/F) [ Time Frame: 7 days ]Oxygen saturation (percent) is measured by pulse oximeter. Fraction of inspired oxygen (FiO2) (unitless) is the volumetric fraction of oxygen to other gases in respiratory support. The S/F ratio is unitless.
- 28-Day Mortality [ Time Frame: 28 days ]Outcome reported as the number of participants who have expired at 28 days post enrollment.
- 90-Day Mortality [ Time Frame: 90 days ]Outcome reported as the number of participants who have expired at 90 days post enrollment.
- ICU Admission [ Time Frame: 10 days ]Outcome reported as the number of participants in each arm who require admission to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).
- Number of Ventilator-Free Days [ Time Frame: 28 days ]Outcome reported as the mean number of days participants in each arm did not require mechanical ventilation during an in-patient hospital admission.
- Number of Therapeutic Oxygen-Free Days [ Time Frame: 28 days ]Outcome reported as the mean number of days participants in each arm did not require therapeutic oxygen usage during an in-patient hospital admission.
- Number of Vasopressor-Free Days [ Time Frame: 10 days ]Outcome reported as the mean number of days participants in each arm did not require vasopressor usage during an in-patient hospital admission.
- Length of Hospital Stay [ Time Frame: 90 days ]Outcome reported as the mean length of in-patient hospital stay (in days) for participants in each arm.
- Disease Severity Rating [ Time Frame: 28 days ]Outcome reported as the number of participants in each arm who fall into each of 7 categories. Lower scores indicate greater condition severity. The ordinal scale is an assessment of the clinical status at the first assessment of a given study day. The scale is as follows: 1) Death; 2) Hospitalized, on invasive mechanical ventilation or extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO); 3) Hospitalized, on non-invasive ventilation or high flow oxygen devices; 4) Hospitalized, requiring supplemental oxygen; 5) Hospitalized, not requiring supplemental oxygen; 6) Not hospitalized, limitation on activities; 7) Not hospitalized, no limitations on activities.
- Change in Viral Load by Nasopharyngeal Swab Day 15 [ Time Frame: 15 days ]Nasopharyngeal swabs will be collected at baseline and day 15. Viral load is measured as number of viral genetic copies per mL.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04312009
|United States, Florida|
|University of Florida Health Gainesville|
|Gainesville, Florida, United States, 32611|
|University of Florida Health Jacksonville|
|Jacksonville, Florida, United States, 32209|
|United States, Georgia|
|Grady Memorial Hospital|
|Atlanta, Georgia, United States, 30303|
|United States, Michigan|
|Henry Ford Hospital|
|Detroit, Michigan, United States, 48202|
|United States, Minnesota|
|M Health Fairview Ridges Hospital|
|Burnsville, Minnesota, United States, 55337|
|M Health Fairview Southdale Hospital|
|Edina, Minnesota, United States, 55435|
|Hennepin County Medical Center|
|Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55415|
|M Health Fairview University of Minnesota Medical Center|
|Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55455|
|University of Minnesota|
|Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55455|
|North Memorial Health Hospital|
|Robbinsdale, Minnesota, United States, 55422|
|United States, Mississippi|
|University of Mississippi Medical Center|
|Jackson, Mississippi, United States, 39216|
|United States, New Jersey|
|Cooper University Hospital|
|Camden, New Jersey, United States, 08103|
|United States, Ohio|
|University of Cincinnati Medical Center|
|Cincinnati, Ohio, United States, 45267|
|Principal Investigator:||Christopher Tignanelli, MD||University of Minnesota|
|Principal Investigator:||Michael Puskarich, MD, MS||University of Minnesota|