Evaluation of Oral Condition and the Effect of Dental Treatment on Physical Parameters of Athletes
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04251858|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : February 5, 2020
Last Update Posted : February 5, 2020
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Periodontal Diseases Inflammation Gum Caries,Dental||Procedure: Dental Scaling Other: Oral hygiene instruction||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||120 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||The groups of participants should be divided by the oral condition of the participants (with oral problems and without oral problems)|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Evaluation of Oral Condition and the Effect of Dental Treatment on Physical Parameters of Athletes|
|Actual Study Start Date :||March 30, 2019|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||November 10, 2020|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||March 30, 2021|
Experimental: Athletes with oral problems
Athletes with periodontal diseases or gingivitis
Procedure: Dental Scaling
The individuals will be treated by a single periodontist and the scaling and root planing procedures will be performed on all teeth as follows: local anesthetic infiltrative type of the areas to be treated, dental and root scaling using Grace 5/6 carbon steel curettes, 11/12, 13/14 and MacCall 13/14, 17/18 curettes, according to their therapeutic indications. Polishing the quadrants treated with abrasive paste; oral hygiene instructions including Bass toothbrushing, dental floss and sometimes inter-dental brush.
Other: Oral hygiene instruction
Oral hygiene instructions should be given to all study participants. Guidance on the most appropriate toothbrush, toothpaste and interproximal cleaning method.
No Intervention: Athletes without oral problems
Athletes diagnosed without oral problems
- Probing depth [ Time Frame: 90 days ]Evaluation of Probing depth, from the gingival margin to the end of the periodontal sulcus
- Clinical attachment level [ Time Frame: 90 days ]evaluation of clinical attachment level, from the enamel cementum junction to the end of the periodontal sulcus
- Gingival index [ Time Frame: 90 days ]evaluation of bleeding on probing
- Plaque index [ Time Frame: 90 days ]evaluation of the accumulation of bacterial plaque around the teeth
- DMF index [ Time Frame: 90 days ]evaluation of teeth decayed, missed or filled
- Aerobic running performance evaluation test [ Time Frame: 90 days ]Run of 100 meters and time obtained in seconds and thousands of a second
- critical speed in swimming [ Time Frame: 90 days ]swim 25 meters, time measured in minutes and seconds
- Body mass index [ Time Frame: 90 days ]The BMI calculation must be done using the following mathematical formula: Weight ÷ height x height.
- Muscle strength through the 1RM test on the bench press [ Time Frame: 90 days ]It is the maximum amount of weight lifted once while performing a standardized weightlifting exercise. To test 1 RM of a muscle group, such as elbow flexors or knee extensors, a weight is chosen at the exercise device, but below the individual's maximum lifting capacity. If a repetition is completed, weight is added to the exercise device. Until the maximum lifting capacity is launched.
- short-term heart rate variability at rest [ Time Frame: 90 days ]To measure heart rate variability, we will use Polar S810i® frequency meter to obtain RR interval series for each individual, at rest, for 5 minutes; posteriorly, analysis will be performed using linear and non-linear indices.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04251858
|Contact: CAIO VINICIUS G ROMAN TORRES||13991304774||CVGRT@HOTMAIL.COM|
|Caio Vinicius Gonçalves Roman Torres||Recruiting|
|Santos, SP, Brazil, 11015001|
|Contact: CAIO VINICIUS GONÇALVES R TORRES 13991304774 CVGRT@HOTMAIL.COM|
|Principal Investigator:||CAIO VINICIUS G ROMAN TORRES||University of Santo Amaro|