Acupuncture for Breast Cancer Related Lymphedema
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04158193|
Recruitment Status : Not yet recruiting
First Posted : November 8, 2019
Last Update Posted : November 8, 2019
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Breast Cancer Lymphedema||Other: acupuncture Other: sham acupuncture||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||60 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Single (Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Effectiveness of Acupuncture for Breast Cancer Related Lymphedema Patients: a Multicenter, Randomized, Sham-controlled Clinical Trial|
|Estimated Study Start Date :||November 2019|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||November 2020|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||April 2021|
Experimental: Acupuncture group
Subjects in the acupuncture group are given acupuncture treatment.
Subjects in acupuncture group will be received acupuncture treatment by inserting LI11, SJ5, SJ9, SJ13, SJ10, HT3, PC2, LI4, and LI15 on the affected limb and RN12, RN9, RN6, RN4, SP9, SP6. Needles will be remained for 30 minutes each time after DeQi sensation, one time a day，three times a week, the treatment will be lasted for 7 weeks.
Experimental: Sham acupuncture control group
Subjects in the sham acupuncture control group are given non-acupoint shallow acupuncture.
Other: sham acupuncture
Subjects in control group will be treated with non-acupoint shallow needling, points will be selected 1 cm at the radial direction from acupoint LI11, SJ5, SJ9, SJ13, SJ10, LI4, HT3, PC2, LI4, LI15; 2 cm at the left of acupoint RN12, RN9, RN6, RN4; 1 cm at the tibial direction from SP9, SP6.
The needling manipulation is the same as that of the acupuncture group, but only the superficial skin of points are punctured. The depth of needling is less than 0.5 cm, and no manipulation will be performed after puncturing the skin. Needles will be remained for 30 minutes each time,one time a day，three times a week, the treatment will be lasted for 7 weeks.
- Upper extremities volume [ Time Frame: 7 weeks ]Volume measurement is also commonly used for the evaluation of lymphedema and the mean change in inter-limb volume difference from baseline to the end of the 7-week intervention will be included as primary outcome measure. The volume of the affected and unaffected limb will be measured by the volumetric measuring device (Baseline, America) using the water displacement method, which is considered as the most reliable method for volume measurements.
- Upper extremities circumferences [ Time Frame: 7 weeks ]Various assessment methods are available but circumference measure is simple, convenient with low cost, and reliable. Therefore, the primary outcome measures will be the mean change in inter-limb circumference difference from baseline to the end of the 7-week intervention. The circumference will be measured by the measurement tape (Gulick Attachment, Baseline, America) at the wrist crease,5 cm above the wrist crease,10 cm above the wrist crease,15 cm above the wrist crease,20 cm above the wrist crease,25 cm above the wrist crease,30 cm above the wrist crease,35 cm above the wrist crease,where the lymphedema is most severe and its corresponding location on the unaffected limb.
- VAS distension score [ Time Frame: 7 weeks ]The VAS distension score is used to assess the degree of self-distension feeling at the affected upper extremities. It is evaluated by drawing a 10 cm horizontal line on the paper. One end of the horizontal line is 0, indicating no distension feeling; the other end is 10, indicating that the distension is unbearable; the middle part indicates different degrees of swelling. Let the subject draw a mark on the horizontal line according to the feeling of self-indicating degree of distension.
- Common terminology criteria for adverse events (CTCAE 4.03) - edema limbs criteria [ Time Frame: 7 weeks ]Common terminology criteria for adverse events (CTCAE 4.03) will be used to grade the severity of swelling using the edema limbs criteria. A grading of mild, moderate or severe swelling will be assessed based on the inter-limb circumference or volume discrepancy, anatomic architecture, appearance, or activities of daily living. The CTCAE 4.03 will allow us to evaluate the clinical significance of circumference change. Stages of lymphedema from the international society of lymphology Stages of lymphedema from the international society of lymphology will be used to grade the severity of lymphedema. Staging of 0, I, II, or III will be assessed based on severity of swelling, ability to reduce swelling by elevation, and skin changes.
- The Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand (DASH) Outcome Measure [ Time Frame: 7 weeks ]Disabilities of the arm, shoulder, and hand (DASH) is a scale consists of two concepts: functional status (part A) andsymptoms (part B) respectively. The functional status part is further divided into three dimensions: physical, social, and psychological. The total score of the DASH ranges from 0 to 100 with higher scores representing worse symptoms and function. The DASH has good validity and responsiveness and it is recommended to assess upper extremity function in breast cancer survivors. The validated Chinese version of the DASH will be used in this study.
- The MOS 36-Item Short-Form Health Survey (SF-36) [ Time Frame: 7 weeks ]The medical outcome study 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36) is a commonly used instrument to assess quality of life that has good validity. The SF-36 includes the following eight concepts: physical functioning, role limitations due to physical problems, social functioning, bodily pain, general mental health, role limitations due to emotional problems, vitality, and general health perception. The validated Chinese version of the SF-36 will be used in this study.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04158193
|Contact: Pan XingFangemail@example.com|
|Contact: Pan XingFang, Study Principal Investigatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|