Effectiveness of Chest Wall Mobilization Program in Improving Respiratory Function for Patients With COPD
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04122365|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : October 10, 2019
Last Update Posted : October 10, 2019
Patients with severe COPD will be recruited from the Respiratory Outpatient Clinic of Kowloon Hospital.
Baseline (pre-intervention) assessment for all recruited subjects will be conducted by one physiotherapist assessor who is blinded to the group allocation of the subject for respiratory function, musculoskeletal performance, physical performance and quality of life. Then, the subjects will be randomly allocated into either the intervention group with therapist-assisted chest wall mobilization exercises, low intensity walking exercise, home exercises and education sessions or the control group with low intensity walking exercise, home exercises and education sessions. The intervention program will last for 6 weeks with 2 sessions / week (i.e. a total of 12 sessions) in accordance to the recommendation for exercise training programs for patients with COPD by the American College of Sports Medicine. Post-program evaluation will be conducted upon program completion at 6 week.
A follow-up session on 3 month after the completion of the program will be carried out to evaluate the cumulative effect of the chest wall mobilization program on respiratory function, musculoskeletal performance, exercise performance and quality of life of the patients.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|COPD||Other: Chest Wall Mobilization Program Other: Control||Not Applicable|
Show Detailed Description
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||30 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Triple (Participant, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Effectiveness of Chest Wall Mobilization Program in Improving Respiratory Function for Patients With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. A Randomized Controlled Trial|
|Actual Study Start Date :||October 1, 2019|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||October 2020|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||June 2021|
Experimental: Interventional group
Chest Wall Mobilization Program
Other: Chest Wall Mobilization Program
Soft tissue therapy and joints mobilization
Routine limbs exercises and education
Routine limbs exercises and education
- Lung Function [ Time Frame: 4.5 months ]FEV1, FVC and Ratio
- Respiratory Muscles Function [ Time Frame: 4.5 months ]Maximum Inspiratory Pressure, Maximum Expiratory Pressure
- Cervical and Thoracic Range of Movement [ Time Frame: 4.5 months ]Measurement of cervical and thoracic range of movement with motion sensor in degree
- Cervical and Respiratory Muscles Activity [ Time Frame: 4.5 months ]Electromyography measurement of cervical and respiratory muscles
- Respiratory Muscle Oxygenation [ Time Frame: 4.5 months ]Near Infrared Spectroscopy on intercostal muscles
- Thoracic Excursion [ Time Frame: 4.5 months ]Measurement of upper and lower thoracic expansion using tape measure in cm
- Six-Minute Walk Test [ Time Frame: 4.5 months ]Measurement of distance, SpO2, Heart rate
- Pressure Pain Threshold [ Time Frame: 4.5 months ]Use Pressure algometer for measure the pressure pain threshold
- Visual Analogue Scale [ Time Frame: 4.5 months ]A 10cm line to rate his or her pain.
- St George's Respiratory Questionnaire [ Time Frame: 4.5 months ]3 Domains: Symptoms, Activity and Impacts. A total score 0-100.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04122365
|Kowloon, Hong Kong, 000|
|Contact: TSUI 852-60329857 email@example.com|
|Principal Investigator: TSUI|
|Principal Investigator:||TSUI||Hong Kong Polytechnic University|