Tuning in to Kids in Norwegian FUS Kindergartens (TIK-FUS)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03985124|
Recruitment Status : Not yet recruiting
First Posted : June 13, 2019
Last Update Posted : June 13, 2019
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Emotional Intelligence||Behavioral: Tuning in to Kids for Teachers||Not Applicable|
Show Detailed Description
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||900 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||Cluster randomised controlled trial|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Randomized Controlled Trial of Tuning in to Kids in Norwegian FUS Kindergartens|
|Estimated Study Start Date :||August 1, 2019|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 31, 2020|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 31, 2021|
Experimental: Intervention TIK-T
24 kindergartens will receive the full intervention. Dosage: 1 3 hour implementation session for kindergarten leaders; 1 x 2-day training workshop for kindergarten leaders and a lead resource person in each kindergarten who will support teachers in learning and implementing Emotion Coaching with children; 2 full training days for all teachers/childcare workers in Emotion Coaching; 2 x booster sessions for all teachers with the resource person in their kindergarten to assist them in using Emotion Coaching with children in their kindergartens.
Behavioral: Tuning in to Kids for Teachers
This is an emotion-focused intervention for teachers giving them skills in emotion coaching children in their care and also understanding and managing their own emotions.
No Intervention: wait list control
24 kindergartens will be in the 12-month wait list condition
- Change in Coping with Toddler's Negative Emotions Scale (CTNES) [ Time Frame: Baseline and 10 month follow up ]Teacher's responsiveness to children's emotions using the CTNES (12 scenarios, 6 possible responses for each)
- Change in Classroom Assessment Scoring System (CLASS) [ Time Frame: Baseline and 10 month follow up ]The CLASS" is an observational tool for assessing classroom quality in the kindergarten based on teacher - child interactions in the classroom rather than evaluation of the physical environment or a specific curriculum. Divided into 3 domains: emotional support (positive climate, negative climate, teacher sensitivity, and regard for student perspectives), classroom organization (behavior management, productivity, and instructional learning formats), and instructional support (concept development, quality of feedback, and language modeling). These constructs are rated on a 7-point scale (1-2 low, 3-5 mid, and 6-7 high) recorded in 30-minutes (20 min observation, 10 min scoring) cycles over a period of up to 3 hours (with six as the recommended average number of observation cycles).
- Change on Brief Problem Monitor (BPM) [ Time Frame: Baseline and 10 month follow up ]Parent reports on children's behavioural functioning using the BPM, an 18-item parent-reported questionnaire. Items are rated on a 0, 1, 0r 2 scale, with one being absence and 2 being strongly indicated.
- Change on Emotion Regulation Checklist, [ Time Frame: Baseline and 10 month follow up ]Parent report on child emotion regulation; a 24 item parent reported questionnaire that gives subscales of emotion regulation and lability/negativity.
- Change on EAS Temperament Scale [ Time Frame: Baseline and 10 month follow up ]Parent report on child emotionality using a 20 item measure that gives subscales of Reactivity, Sociability, Shyness and Activity
- Change on Emotional literacy - parent reported [ Time Frame: Baseline and 10 month follow up ]Parent report emotion language using a list of 60 emotion words where parents indicate whether or not the child would understand the given word.
- Change on Emotional literacy - direct assessment [ Time Frame: Baseline and 10 month follow up ]Using an iPad, and 60 different emotion words, testers will ask the child to point to one of 4 pictures to see if they can identify emotion words.
- Change on Parent perception of kindergarten environment [ Time Frame: Baseline and 10 month follow up ]Questions about perceived emotional support child receives in kindergarten. These will be set questions asking parents to rate on a 1 - 5 point likert scale their satisfaction, support etc from the kindergarten.
- Change on Teacher perception of kindergarten environment [ Time Frame: Baseline and 10 month follow up ]Questions about perceived support teacher received in workplace. These will be set questions asking teachers to rate on a 1 - 5 point likert scale their satisfaction, support perceived functioning of the kindergarten.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03985124
|Contact: Sophie S Havighurst, PhDemail@example.com|
|Contact: Ida Tidemann, M.A.||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Study Chair:||Evalill B Karevold, PhD||University of Oslo|