CIRTEN-Simultaneous Pancreas-Kidney Transplant Recipients
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03769298|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : December 7, 2018
Last Update Posted : July 7, 2020
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Kidney Pancreas Transplantation||Drug: Envarsus XR||Phase 2 Phase 3|
Accrual objective: Enrollment of 2-3 participants per month and all participants within an 18 month period. With minimum of 1 year follow-up post-conversion, we anticipate the entire study would be completed within 2 ½ years.
Study design: This is a Phase II/III, Single-center, Prospective, Open-label, Single Arm Study of 30 Simultaneous Kidney Pancreas recipients who received a transplant at least 3 months, but no more than 5 years prior, with a history of tremors following transplantation.
Study duration: There will be a minimum of 1 year follow-up post-conversion, and it is expected that the entire study would be completed within 2 ½ years.
- Determine if EnvarsusXR® reduces tremor severity compared to IR tacrolimus
- Determine if EnvarsusXR® improves renal function or glycemic control compared to IR tacrolimus
- Compare the efficacy of EnvarsusXR® by comparing the outcomes (patient, pancreas graft and kidney graft survival) of patients treated with Envarsus XR to those of contemporary and historical controls at our center treated with IR tacrolimus, with the goal of showing non-inferiority.
- Compare insulin resistance and insulin sensitivity by defined measures post conversion between T1D and T2D recipients.
- Improvement in patient and physician-assessed degree of tremors based on FTM (Fahn-Tolosa-Martin Tremor Rating Scale) and QUEST (Quality of Life in Essential Tremor Questionnaire) scoring tools
- Scores on Quality of Life in Essential Tremor and Modified Transplant Symptom Occurrence and Symptom Distress Scale (MTSOSD) Questionnaires
- Renal function - eGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate) and serum creatinine
- Glycemic control - AUC by MMTT, fasting BG, fasting C-peptide, calculated C-peptide/glucose ratio, calculated 20/(fasting Cpeptide x fasting BG) as a measure of insulin resistance, calculated HOMA-IR (fasting insulin x fasting BG)/22.5 as a measure of insulin sensitivity/resistance, calculated BETA-2 score to sensitive estimate beta cell function, and HbA1c.
- Tacrolimus and Mycophenolate doses as well as TAC and MPA levels
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||30 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||This is a Phase II/III, Single-center, Prospective, Open-label, Single Arm Study of 30 Simultaneous Kidney Pancreas recipients who received a transplant at least 3 months, but no more than 2 years prior, with a history of tremors following transplantation.|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Conversion From Immediate Release Tacrolimus to Envarsus XR® in Simultaneous Pancreas-Kidney Recipients: Assessment of Functional, Safety and Quality of Life Outcomes (CIRTEN SPK)|
|Actual Study Start Date :||February 27, 2019|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||October 31, 2022|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||October 31, 2022|
Experimental: Envarsus XR
Envarsus XR (extended release) will be administered orally, once-daily, for 6 months.
Drug: Envarsus XR
The Envarsus XR® drug will be administered to study participants once daily, orally. The dosage can be 0.75 mg, 1 mg or 4 mg. The tacrolimus whole blood trough concentrations will be monitored and titrate Envarsus XR® dosage to achieve target whole blood trough concentration.
Other Name: tacrolimus
- Change in patient and physician-assessed degree of tremors based on Fahn-Tolosa-Marin Tremor Rating Scale [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]FTM-TRS will be used as a tool for essential tremor scoring. (0: no tremor, 1: barely perceptible tremor, 2: < 2 cm, 3: 2-4 cm, and 4: > 4 cm).
- Change in patient and physician-assessed degree of tremors based on Quality of Life in Essential Tremor (QUEST) Questionnaire [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]QUEST Questionnaire, a scoring tool will be used to measure the quality of life among patients with Essential Tremor. It consists of 30 items which are rated on a five-point scale (score 0-4), corresponding to the frequency (never, rarely, sometimes, frequently, always) with which tremor was perceived to affect a function or to be associated with various feelings and attitudes. A few items (e.g. 'I had to quit my job because of tremor') could only be answered at the extremes (yes/no; true/false), and these were scored either 0 or 4.
- Scores on Quality of Life in Essential Tremor Questionnaires [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]Use QUEST (Quality of Life in Essential Tremor Questionnaire) scoring tool
- Scores on Modified Transplant Symptom Occurrence and Symptom Distress Scale (MTSOSD) Questionnaire [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]MTSOSD Questionnaire scores will be used to assess the presence and distress of side effects associated with the use of immunosuppressive drugs after transplantation.
- Renal function by eGFR (estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate) [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]Change between baseline and post-conversion as measured by eGFR
- Renal function by serum creatinine [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]Change between baseline and post-conversion as measured by serum creatinine
- Comparable or improved glycemic control as measured by mixed meal tolerance test [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]Change between baseline and post-conversion
- Comparable or improved glycemic control as measured by HbA1c [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]Change between baseline and post-conversion
- Tacrolimus doses and levels [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]Change between baseline and post-conversion
- Mycophenolate doses and levels [ Time Frame: Over 6 months ]Change between baseline and post-conversion
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03769298
|Contact: Jon S Odorico, MDfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|United States, Wisconsin|
|University of Wisconsin||Recruiting|
|Madison, Wisconsin, United States, 53792|
|Contact: Jon S Odorico, MD 608-263-4768 email@example.com|
|Principal Investigator:||Jon S Odorico, MD||University of Wisconsin, Madison|