A Study to Evaluate the Safety, Pharmacokinetics (PK), and Pharmacodynamics (PD) of TAK-079 in Combination With Standard Background Therapy in Participants With Moderate to Severe Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03724916|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : October 30, 2018
Last Update Posted : December 10, 2018
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Lupus Erythematosus, Systemic||Drug: TAK-079 Drug: TAK-079 Placebo||Phase 1|
TAK-079 is being tested in a study population with moderate to severe SLE. This study will evaluate the safety and biologic activity of TAK-079 or matching placebo in combination with stable SLE background therapy.
The study will enroll approximately 24 participants across 3 sequentially enrolling cohorts. Each cohort will enroll 8 participants, where 6 participants will be assigned to TAK-079 injection, and 2 participants will be assigned to Placebo. Participants will receive TAK-079 or matching placebo in combination with principal investigator directed background therapy for SLE.
This multi-center trial will be conducted in the United States. Participants will make multiple visits to the clinic, and will be followed up for the safety assessment for the additional 12 weeks up to Week 24 after receiving their last dose of study drug. Based on the clinical assessments, participants may complete or may advance to long-term safety follow up period for an additional 12-week safety monitoring period up to Week 36.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||24 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Sequential Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||A Phase 1b Study to Evaluate the Safety, Pharmacokinetics, and Pharmacodynamics of TAK-079 in Combination With Standard Background Therapy in Patients With Moderate to Severe Systemic Lupus Erythematosus|
|Actual Study Start Date :||November 26, 2018|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||May 29, 2020|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 31, 2020|
TAK-079 injection, subcutaneously, once every 3 weeks for up to 12 weeks in combination with principal investigator-directed background therapy for SLE. Dose escalation of TAK-079 dose will be based on PK, safety and tolerability data.
TAK-079 Subcutaneous injection.
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
TAK-079 placebo-matching injection, subcutaneously, once every 3 weeks for up to 12 weeks in combination with principal investigator-directed background therapy for SLE.
Drug: TAK-079 Placebo
TAK-079 placebo-matching subcutaneous injection.
- Number of Participants who Experience at Least one Treatment-emergent Adverse Event (TEAE) and Serious Adverse Event (SAE) [ Time Frame: Up to Week 36 ]
- Number of Participants With Grade 3 or Higher TEAEs [ Time Frame: Up to Week 36 ]The severity of TEAEs will be graded using National cancer institute-Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (NCI-CTCAE) version 4.0 definitions of Grade 1 through Grade 5. Grade 1 Mild; asymptomatic or mild symptoms; clinical or diagnostic observations only; intervention not indicated. Grade 2 Moderate; minimal, local or noninvasive intervention indicated; limiting age-appropriate instrumental activities of daily living. Grade 3 Severe or medically significant but not immediately life-threatening; hospitalization or prolongation of hospitalization indicated; disabling; limiting self care activities of daily living. Grade 4 Life-threatening consequences; urgent intervention indicated. Grade 5 Death related to AE.
- Percentage of Participants With Greater Than or Equal to (>=) 1 Adverse Event (AE) Leading to Treatment Discontinuation [ Time Frame: Up to Week 36 ]
- Cmax: Maximum Observed Plasma Concentration for TAK-079 [ Time Frame: Day 1 pre-dose and at multiple time points (up to 168 hours) post-dose; Day 22 pre-dose and at multiple time points (up to 108 hours) post-dose; Days 43 and 64 pre-dose and at multiple time points (up to 5 hours) post-dose ]
- AUClast: Area Under the Plasma Concentration-time Curve From Time 0 to the Time of the Last Quantifiable Concentration for TAK-079 [ Time Frame: Day 1 pre-dose and at multiple time points (up to 168 hours) post-dose; Day 22 pre-dose and at multiple time points (up to 108 hours) post-dose; Days 43 and 64 pre-dose and at multiple time points (up to 5 hours) post-dose ]
- Number of Participants With Change From Baseline In Immune Cell Subsets [ Time Frame: Baseline up to Day 85 ]Immune cell subsets will include plasma cells, plasma blast (PBs), natural killer (NK) cells, B cells, T cells, monocytes, and total lymphocytes.
- Number of Participants With Change From Baseline in (Cluster of Differentiation 38) CD38 Expression Level and Receptor Occupancy [ Time Frame: Baseline up to Day 85 ]CD38 expression and receptor occupancy will be evaluated for plasma cells, PBs, NK cells, B cells, T cells, and monocytes.
- Change From Baseline in Cytokines Level [ Time Frame: Baseline up to Day 85 ]Cytokine measurements will be assessed from baseline at different timepoints for placebo and each TAK-079 dose level.
- Number of Participants With Positive Anti-drug Antibodies [ Time Frame: Baseline up to Day 85 ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03724916
|Contact: Takeda Study Registration Call Centerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|United States, Alabama|
|Pinnacle Research Group, LLC||Recruiting|
|Anniston, Alabama, United States, 36207|
|United States, California|
|ACRC Studies||Not yet recruiting|
|Poway, California, United States, 92064|
|United States, Florida|
|Clinical Research of West Florida - Clearwater||Not yet recruiting|
|Clearwater, Florida, United States, 33765|
|CRIA Research||Not yet recruiting|
|Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States, 33309|
|Millennium Research||Not yet recruiting|
|Ormond Beach, Florida, United States, 32174|
|United States, Georgia|
|North Georgia Rheumatology Group-Duluth||Not yet recruiting|
|Lawrenceville, Georgia, United States, 30046|
|United States, Idaho|
|Institute of Arthritis Research||Not yet recruiting|
|Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States, 83404|
|United States, Texas|
|Accurate Clinical Research||Not yet recruiting|
|Houston, Texas, United States, 77034|
|Southwest Rheumatology Research, LLC||Recruiting|
|Mesquite, Texas, United States, 75150|
|United States, Washington|
|Arthritis Northwest Rheumatology||Not yet recruiting|
|Spokane, Washington, United States, 99204|
|Study Director:||Medical Director||Millennium Pharmaceuticals, Inc.|