Group Telehealth Weight Management Visits for Adolescents With Obesity
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03508622|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : April 26, 2018
Last Update Posted : February 12, 2019
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Obesity, Childhood||Behavioral: Telehealth group sessions Behavioral: Empower clinic||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||30 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||Pilot intervention using retrospective control group.|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Group Telehealth Weight Management Visits for Adolescents With Obesity|
|Actual Study Start Date :||January 1, 2018|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||June 2019|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||June 2019|
This group will receive weight management treatment via 12 online group sessions, over 6 months. They will have Bluetooth-enabled scales that will allow them to transmit their weight data to the PI in between research visits. They will answer questionnaires and have research visits at baseline, 3 months, and 6 months.
Behavioral: Telehealth group sessions
Telehealth sessions will utilize an online meeting platform and will be conducted by RDs, PTs, psychologists, and MDs, to deliver weight management information/counseling, to group of 5-6 14-18 yos with obesity.
This retrospective control group received standard in-clinic individualized weight management with a multi-disciplinary group of providers, via 6 monthly clinic visits, over 6 months.
Behavioral: Empower clinic
Empower visits for the retrospective control group were multi-disciplinary in nature, occurred at CHLA outpatient clinic, and were intended to be monthly (though actual adherence to recommended attendance was variable). Teen and minimum of one family member were asked to attend monthly visits, as per our standard clinical care.
- Change in anthropometric and clinical data [ Time Frame: 6 months ]change in absolute body mass index
- Change in anthropometric and clinical data [ Time Frame: 6 months ]% of 95th percentile body mass index
- Change in anthropometric and clinical data [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Labs: Glycosylated Hemoglobin; Hb A1c %
- Change in anthropometric and clinical data [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Labs: Alanine Aminotransferase; ALT units/L
- Change in anthropometric and clinical data [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Labs: Triglycerides; mg/dL
- Change in anthropometric and clinical data [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Blood Pressure; (mm Hg)a
- Change in quality of life [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Quality of life measurements will be obtained will be obtained through "Youth Telehealth Pilot Study Survey" questionnaire.
- Self-efficacy [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Self-efficacy measurements will be obtained through will be obtained through "Youth Telehealth Pilot Study Survey" questionnaire.
- Satisfaction with care [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Satisfaction measurements will be obtained through "Satisfaction using Telehealth" questionnaire.
- Attendance/Retention [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Attendance, no-show and same-day reschedules will be tallied
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03508622
|Contact: Claudia Borzutzky, MD||(323) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Contact: Dalia Salazar||(323) email@example.com|
|United States, California|
|Children's Hospital Los Angeles||Recruiting|
|Los Angeles, California, United States, 90027|
|Contact: Dalia Salazar 323-361-1920 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Contact: Claudia Borzutzky, MD 323-361-2153 email@example.com|
|Principal Investigator: Claudia Borzutzky, MD|
|Sub-Investigator: Cassandra Fink, MPH|