Long-Term Outcomes of Ataluren in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03179631|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : June 7, 2017
Last Update Posted : February 16, 2023
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Muscular Dystrophy, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophies Muscular Disorders, Atrophic Muscular Diseases Musculoskeletal Disease Neuromuscular Diseases Nervous System Diseases Genetic Diseases, X-Linked Genetic Diseases, Inborn||Drug: Ataluren Drug: PLACEBO||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||360 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||This study describes the randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, 72-week study and its 72-week open-label extension|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Masking Description:||A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled,72-week study and its 72-week open-label extension|
|Official Title:||A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Efficacy and Safety Study of Ataluren in Patients With Nonsense Mutation Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and Open-Label Extension|
|Actual Study Start Date :||July 6, 2017|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||March 5, 2022|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||July 20, 2023|
10, 20 milligrams per kilogram (mg/kg)
10, 20 mg/kg
Other Name: PTC124
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
10, 20 mg/kg
10, 20 mg/kg
Other Name: Matching Placebo
- Slope of Change in 6-Minute Walk Distance (6MWD) Over 72 Weeks [ Time Frame: 72 weeks ]
- Change from Baseline to Week 72 in 6MWD [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 72 ]
- Change from Baseline to Week 72 in Time to Run/Walk 10 Meters [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 72 ]
- Change from Baseline to Week 72 in Time to Climb 4 Stairs [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 72 ]
- Change from Baseline to Week 72 in Time to Descend 4 Stairs [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 72 ]
- Change from Baseline to Week 72 in North Start Ambulatory Assessment (NSAA) Total Score [ Time Frame: Baseline, Week 72 ]
- Time to Loss of Ambulation Over 72 Weeks [ Time Frame: 72 weeks ]
- Time to Loss of Stair-Climbing Over 72 Weeks [ Time Frame: 72 Weeks ]
- Time to Loss of Stair-Descending Over 72 Weeks [ Time Frame: 72 weeks ]
- Risk of Loss of NSAA Items Over 72 weeks [ Time Frame: 72 weels ]
- Number of Treatment-Emergent Adverse Events Considered Related to Study Drug [ Time Frame: 72 weeks ]
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||5 Years and older (Child, Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||Male|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
- Male sex
- Age ≥5 years
- Phenotypic evidence of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- Nonsense point mutation in the dystrophin gene
- Use of systemic corticosteroids (prednisone/prednisolone or deflazacort)for a minimum of 12 months immediately prior to start of study treatment, with no significant change in dosage or dosing regimen for a minimum of 3 months immediately prior to start of study treatment
- 6MWD ≥150 meters
- Ability to perform timed function tests within 30 seconds
- Willingness and ability to comply with scheduled visits, drug administration plan, study procedures, laboratory tests, and study restrictions.
- Any change in prophylaxis treatment for cardiomyopathy within 1 month prior to start of study treatment.
- Ongoing intravenous (IV) aminoglycoside or IV vancomycin therapy.
- Prior or ongoing therapy with ataluren.
- Known hypersensitivity to any of the ingredients or excipients of the study drug
- Exposure to another investigational drug within 6 months prior to start of study treatment, or ongoing participation in any interventional clinical trial.
- History of major surgical procedure within 12 weeks prior to start of study treatment, or expectation of major surgical procedure during the 72-week placebo-controlled treatment period.
- Requirement for daytime ventilator assistance or any use of invasive mechanical ventilation via tracheostomy.
- Uncontrolled clinical symptoms and signs of congestive heart failure
- Elevated serum creatinine or cystatin C at screening.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03179631
|Study Director:||Vinay Penematsa, MD||PTC Therapeutics, Inc.|
|Responsible Party:||PTC Therapeutics|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||June 7, 2017 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||February 16, 2023|
|Last Verified:||February 2023|
|Individual Participant Data (IPD) Sharing Statement:|
|Plan to Share IPD:||No|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Drug Product:||Yes|
|Studies a U.S. FDA-regulated Device Product:||No|
Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
Premature Stop Codon
Becker Muscular Dystrophy
Muscular Dystrophy, Duchenne
Muscular Disorders, Atrophic
Nervous System Diseases
Genetic Diseases, Inborn
Genetic Diseases, X-Linked