Purse String Suture for the Closure of Large Thyroidectomy Resulted in Better Cosmetics
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03035383|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 30, 2017
Last Update Posted : January 30, 2017
Dr Cipto Mangunkusumo General Hospital
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
Ahmad Kurnia, Dr Cipto Mangunkusumo General Hospital
Thyroidectomy for large thyroid tumor poses a problem of cosmetics, especially in terms of wide post-operative scar and prominent neck wrinkles. In this manuscript, we performed purse-string suture for the first time for the closure of skin defect after thyroidectomy of large thyroid tumors which resulted in better cosmetics as compared to the conventional suturing method.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Thyroidectomy||Procedure: Purse string technique Procedure: Conventional technique||Not Applicable|
Increasing demand for better cosmetics following thyroidectomy for large thyroid tumor of > 6 cm diameter created a necessity to find an alternative to the conventional technique (CT), which could be addressed by purse string technique (PST). A non-randomized controlled trial was conducted to new thyroid tumor patients at Cipto Mangunkusumo Hospital (RSCM) from October 2013 until December 2014. Thirty patients grouped into two intervention arms of thyroidectomy with PST and CT were assessed for post-operative scar outcomes.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||30 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Intervention Model Description:||Non-randomized controlled study|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Masking Description:||No masking|
|Official Title:||Purse String Suture for the Closure of Large Thyroidectomy Resulted in Better Cosmetics|
|Actual Study Start Date :||October 1, 2013|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||December 31, 2014|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||December 31, 2014|
Experimental: Purse String Technique
Thyroidectomy closure is performed using purse string technique.
Procedure: Purse string technique
Thyroidectomy closure is performed using purse string suturing technique.
Other Name: PST
Active Comparator: Conventional technique
Thyroidectomy closure is performed using conventional technique.
Procedure: Conventional technique
Thyroidectomy closure is performed using conventional suturing technique.
Other Name: CT
Primary Outcome Measures :
- Length of scar [ Time Frame: 8 to 12 weeks following thyroidectomy ]Length of scar in milimeter
- Width of scar [ Time Frame: 8 to 12 weeks following thyroidectomy ]Width of scar in milimeter
- Wrinkle [ Time Frame: 8 to 12 weeks following thyroidectomy ]Presence of wrinkle
- Patient's satisfaction [ Time Frame: 8 to 12 weeks following thyroidectomy ]Patient's satisfaction assessed using Likert scale of 1 to 10
Secondary Outcome Measures :
- Duration of surgery [ Time Frame: During surgery ]Duration of surgery in minutes
- Bleeding [ Time Frame: During surgery ]Volume of bleeding during surgery in cc
- Post operative hospital stay [ Time Frame: 1 week following thyroidectomy ]Post operative hospital stay
No Contacts or Locations Provided