Effects of Upper Extremity Aerobic Exercise Training in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Recipients
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03007602|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 2, 2017
Last Update Posted : October 9, 2018
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Aerobic Exercise||Other: Upper Extremity Aerobic Exercise||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||30 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||Effects of Upper Extremity Aerobic Exercise Training in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Recipients|
|Actual Study Start Date :||April 2016|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||August 2018|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||September 2018|
Experimental: Treatment group: aerobic exercise
The upper extremity aerobic exercise training with an arm ergometer will be performed in the treatment group so that training intensity will be between 60% and 80% of the maximum heart rate, dyspnea perception will be 3-4 according to Modified Borg Scale and fatigue perception will be 5-6 according to Modified Borg Scale, training duration will be a 6-week.
Other: Upper Extremity Aerobic Exercise
Range of maximal heart rate is being followed by a polar band during supervised session each week.
Aerobic exercise is being trained for 30 min-per/day, 3 days/week, 6 weeks. All sessions are being performed by a physiotherapist at cardiopulmonary rehabilitation department.
No Intervention: Control group: deep breathing exercise
Deep breathing exercises combinated with arm movements will be given as a home schedule in the control group. Training duration will be a 6-week.
- functional exercise capacity evaluation [ Time Frame: 6-week ]Evaluated with 6-minute walking test
- pulmonary functions test [ Time Frame: 6-week ]Evaluated with spirometer
- muscle strength [ Time Frame: 6-week ]Evaluated with a hand-held dynamometer for peripheral muscles, mouth pressure device for respiratory muscle strength
- cough strength [ Time Frame: 6-week ]Evaluated with peak flow meter
- physical activity level [ Time Frame: 6-week ]Evaluated with a metabolic holter
- fatigue severity [ Time Frame: 6-week ]Evaluated using Fatigue Severity Scale
- anxiety and depression perception [ Time Frame: 6-week ]Evaluated using Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale
- dyspnea perception [ Time Frame: 6-week ]Evaluated using Modified Medical Research Council Dyspnea scale (MMRC) and Modified Borg Scale
- quality of life level [ Time Frame: 6-week ]evaluated using QOL using European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QOL Questionnaire (EORTCQOL)
- maximal exercise capacity evaluation [ Time Frame: 6-week ]evaluated using Modified Incremental Shuttle Walk Test
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT03007602
|Gazi University Faculty of Health Sciences Department of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation|
|Study Chair:||Gülşah Barğı, MSc.||Gazi University|
|Study Director:||Meral Boşnak Güçlü, PhD.||Gazi University|
|Principal Investigator:||Zübeyde Nur Özkurt, PhD.||Gazi University|
|Principal Investigator:||Münci Yağcı, PhD.||Gazi University|