Trial record 44 of 1009 for: Area Under Curve AND insulin
The Effect of Breaking Prolonged Sitting on Adipose Tissue and Metabolism
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02870088|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : August 17, 2016
Last Update Posted : August 17, 2016
University of Bath
Ministry of Education, Taiwan
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
Yung-Chih Chen, University of Bath
The purpose of this project is to investigate the effect of breaking prolonged sitting on acute adipose tissue and metabolic responses.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Insulin Sensitivity||Behavioral: Prolonged Sitting Behavioral: Breaking Sitting||Not Applicable|
Show Detailed Description
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||11 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Crossover Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Primary Purpose:||Basic Science|
|Study Start Date :||July 2014|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||January 2016|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||January 2016|
Active Comparator: Prolonged Sitting
Participants sat on a chair during the trial.
Behavioral: Prolonged Sitting
After consuming 1st meal, participants sat on a chair for 180 min. After 180 min, the 2nd meal was provided. After finishing the 2nd meal, participants sat on a chair for another 120 min.
Experimental: Breaking Sitting
Participants walked regularly during the trial.
Behavioral: Breaking Sitting
After consuming 1st meal, participants walked 2 min on a treadmill every 20 minutes for the following 180 min. For the remainder of the time participants sat on the chair. After 180 min, the 2nd meal was provided. After finishing the 2nd meal, participants continued 2 min of walking every 20 min for the following 120 min.
Primary Outcome Measures :
- Incremental area under curve (iAUC) for insulin [ Time Frame: 330 minutes ]
Secondary Outcome Measures :
- Changes in gene expression in the adipose tissue [ Time Frame: Before the 1st meal and 120 min after the 2nd meal (330 minutes). ]
- Changes in insulin, glucose, TAG and NEFA in blood [ Time Frame: 330 minutes ]
- Changes in serum Interleukin-6 (IL-6), leptin and adiponectin [ Time Frame: 330 minutes ]
- Changes in Interleukin-6 (IL-6), leptin and adiponectin protein secretion from adipose tissue explants [ Time Frame: Before the 1st meal and 120 min after the 2nd meal (330 minutes). ]
No Contacts or Locations Provided