Identification of Clinically Relevant Markers of Deep Brain Stimulation Electrode Impedance
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02794233|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 9, 2016
Last Update Posted : May 15, 2018
The study will look into the changes of Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) measured impedances in patients of Parkinson disease (PD) as a function of their functional state (lying, sitting and walking) and dopaminergic medication intake (levodopa or dopamine agonists).
The goal is to use DBS measured impedance as a surrogate of the functional and medication states of PD patients.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Parkinson Disease||Other: Impedance measurements||Not Applicable|
Subjects will be recruited from the population of patients who are already implanted with DBS for treatment of PD.
At the patient's follow up visit they will be asked to come to the clinic in the "off medication" state. Off medication is defined as at least 8 hours since the last medication dosing. Data will be collected during three phases: "OFF" state, transitioning state, and "ON" state. Subjects will be asked to assume different functional states (lying, sitting or walking) for 1 minute each. During these functional states, multiple measures of impedance will be collected.
- "OFF" state data collection: The subject will be examined to assess his motor examination score using the UPDRS-III. Measurements of impedance will be collected multiple times in the lying down and sitting up states.
- Transition state data collection: The subject will be asked to take their dopamine medication. The medication will take approximately 1 hour to take full effect. Measurements of impedance will be collected every 10 minutes during this transition from the "OFF" state to the "ON" state. Patients will be asked to report at what point they felt the "ON: state (they can report the state as "OFF", "unsure", "transition" or "ON").
- "ON" state data collection: The "ON" state examination will start after 1 hour from medication administration. Subjects will be examined using the UPDRS-III. Measurements of impedance will be collected in the lying down, sitting and walking states.
Summary of the study protocol:
"OFF" state Transition state "ON' state UPDRS-III x x Impedance Lying down x x Sitting up x x x Walking x UPDRS I and II x Hoehn and Yahr x x
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||6 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Identification of Clinically Relevant Markers of Deep Brain Stimulation Electrode Impedance|
|Study Start Date :||July 2016|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||June 2017|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||June 2017|
Experimental: PD patients with implanted DBS
Impedance measurements at different time points.
Other: Impedance measurements
Refer to study description
- Change in impedance value as it relates to the functional state. [ Time Frame: 1 hour (for both outcomes) ]Functional state is defined as either: lying, sitting or walking.
- Change in impedance value as it relates to the dopaminergic medication state. [ Time Frame: 1 hour (for both outcomes) ]Dopaminergic medications are defined as either levodopa containing or dopamine agonist containing medications. The state is defined as the "OFF" state (medication effect is not present) and "ON" state (medication effect noted).
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02794233
|United States, Florida|
|University of Florida, Center for Movement Disorders and Neurorestoration|
|Gainesville, Florida, United States, 32607|
|Principal Investigator:||Leonardo Brito de Almeida, MD||University of Florida|