Stem Cell Therapy for Patients With Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis (STEFOG)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02693366|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified June 2017 by Marcelo Marcos Morales, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro.
Recruitment status was: Active, not recruiting
First Posted : February 26, 2016
Last Update Posted : June 6, 2017
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Glomerulosclerosis, Focal Segmental Renal Insufficiency, Chronic||Biological: Autologous Cell Transplantation||Phase 1|
Will be studied five patients with progressive chronic kidney disease and estimated clearance between 40 and 20 ml / min. Patients will be followed by clinical and laboratory examination for 3 months prior to the procedure. These previous results serve as a control for comparison with a second time when the same patients receive treatment with stem cells being subsequently followed up for 9 months a total of one year of clinical follow-up.
Bone marrow aspiration and subsequent cell preparation were accomplished on the same day as the endovascular infusion of autologous Bone Marrow derived Mononuclear stem cells (BMDMCs) in both renal arteries. Collection was performed under spinal anesthesia and light sedation, through puncture and repeated aspirations at the posterior iliac crest region. A total of 80 mL of bone marrow aspirate was collected from each patient, and after removal of bone and fatty residues, mononuclear cells were isolated by a Ficoll-Paque Plus (Amersham Biosciences, São Paulo, Brazil).For each patient, 2×107 cells will be labeled with 99mTc. Briefly, 500 μl of sterile SnCl2 solution is added to the cells and the mixture is incubated at room temperature for 10 min. Forty-five millicurie (mCi) of 99mTc is then added and incubation continued for another 10 min. After centrifugation (500×g for 5 min), the supernatant is removed and the cells are washed in saline solution. The pellet will be also resuspended in saline solution. Viability of the labeled cells will be assessed by the trypan blue exclusion test, and estimated to be greater than 93% in all cases.The labeling efficiency (%) will be calculated by the activity in the pellet divided by the sum of the radioactivity in the pellet plus supernatant and estimated to be greater than 90% in all cases.
After the collection of the stem cells, the patient will be submitted to puncture the femoral artery using the Seldinger technique under local anesthesia, followed by catheterization of the ostium of the renal arteries with minimum use of nonionic iodinated contrast. With the routing of diagnostic catheter or guide, the solution numbering about 30 to 100 million of dissolved plasma cells will be divided and injected into two renal arteries. The infusion volume is about 5 ml in each kidney. Whole body and planar scans will be performed 2 and 24h after infusion to determine the migration and cell viability. The patient will remain hospitalized for more 48 hours for clinical monitoring and collection of laboratorial tests.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||5 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Safety Study of the Endovascular Infusion of Bone Marrow Derived Mononuclear Cells in Patients With Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis|
|Study Start Date :||June 2015|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||February 2018|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||March 2018|
Experimental: Autologous Cell Transplantation
We are conducting a prospective, non-randomized, single-center longitudinal study in five patients with progressive chronic kidney disease and estimated clearance between 40 and 20 ml / min. Patients will be followed by clinical and laboratory examination for 3 months prior to the procedure. These previous results serve as a control for comparison with a second time when the same patients receive treatment with stem cells being subsequently followed up for 9 months a total of one year of clinical follow-up.
Biological: Autologous Cell Transplantation
Endovascular infusion of bone marrow derived cells in both renal arteries.
- Kidney injury [ Time Frame: 9 months ]
Increase of serum creatinine of about 0.5 mg / dL when levels are less than 3.0 mg / dl and 1.0 mg / dl baseline levels when are greater than or equal to 3.0 mg / dL) when confirmed with the second examination.
- Acute: evaluated within 15 days of cell therapy;
- Subacute: evaluated 15-90 days of cell therapy
- Chronic kidney disease [ Time Frame: 9 months ]Doubling of serum creatinine based on the third month after the cell therapy or the need to start dialysis
- Potential differentiation disorders of transplanted cells [ Time Frame: 9 months ]Analyzed by clinical and imaging tests such abdominal ultrasound and chest radiography
- Systemic inflammatory potential of mononuclear cells administration in renal circulation [ Time Frame: 9 months ]Laboratory tests: C-reactive protein, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, blood count and urinary sediment
- Death [ Time Frame: 9 months ]
- Renal function [ Time Frame: 9 months ]The estimated creatinine clearance assessment by MDRD formula
- Bone metabolism [ Time Frame: 9 months ]Evaluation of bone metabolism by serum phosphorus (mg/dL), calcium (mg/dL), parathormone (pg/ml), 25 (OH) vit. D (ng/ml).
- Balance assessment electrolyte and acid-base [ Time Frame: 9 months ]Balance assessment electrolyte and acid-base by serum sodium (mEq/l), potassium (mEq/l), uric acid (mg/dl) and bicarbonate
- The lipid profile assessment and anemia [ Time Frame: 9 months ]The lipid profile assessment (LDL- cholesterol, HDL-cholesterol and triglyceride) and anemia measured by hemoglobin (g/dL) and hematocrit.
- Quality of life questionnaire [ Time Frame: 9 months ]Clinical improvement of the patient, with subjective assessment of general health and well being through SF36 quality of life questionnaire
- Imaging tests [ Time Frame: 9 months ]Imaging tests: Renal scintigraphy with 99mTc-DTPA and DMSA
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02693366
|Universitary Hospital Clementino Fraga Filho - UFRJ|
|Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 21941913|
|Principal Investigator:||Marcelo Marcos Morales, MD,PHD||Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro|