A 2 Week, Crossover Trial of Dietary Nitrate in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02521532|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : August 13, 2015
Last Update Posted : October 23, 2015
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease||Dietary Supplement: Dietary nitrate Dietary Supplement: Placebo||Not Applicable|
Acute consumption of dietary nitrate (as beetroot juice) has been shown to increase exercise and decrease systemic blood pressure in multiple populations, including COPD. The chronic effect of dietary nitrate in OSAS has not been reported.
The investigators hypothesize that chronic nitrate consumption might increase exercise tolerance, and exhaled NO but decrease blood pressure and have little impact on quality of life and pulmonary function.
This study is a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled, crossover trial. At baseline, mid-point and endpoint exercise tolerance, pulmonary function, quality of life and ambulatory blood pressure will be assessed in conjunction with demographics and blood draw. After baseline measures, each subject will be randomized to consume nitrate rich beetroot juice for 14 consecutive nights when assessments will be repeated followed by 14 nights of placebo and endpoint assessments or the converse.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||8 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Crossover Assignment|
|Masking:||Triple (Participant, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||Dietary Nitrate for COPD: a 14d, Randomized, Placebo-controlled, Crossover Trial|
|Study Start Date :||January 2015|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||September 2015|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||September 2015|
Experimental: Nitrate rich beetroot juice
Concentrated, beetroot juice is a rich source of dietary nitrate.
Dietary Supplement: Dietary nitrate
140ml of nitrate rich beetroot juice provides 12.9mmol nitrate and will be consumed on a daily basis during the intervention by the study subjects.
Other Name: Beetroot juice
Placebo Comparator: Nitrate depleted placebo beetroot juice
Placebo beetroot juice is identical to active beetroot juice in every way except nitrate content.
Dietary Supplement: Placebo
140ml of nitrate depleted beetroot juice provides 0.5mmol nitrate and will be consumed on a daily basis during the intervention by the study subjects.
Other Name: Nitrate depleted beetroot juice
- Change in incremental shuttle walk test distance [ Time Frame: Day 1, day 15 and day 29 ]
- Change in plasma nitrate [ Time Frame: Day 1, day 15 and day 29 ]Assessed by chemiluminescence
- Change in ambulatory blood pressure [ Time Frame: Day 1, day 15 and day 29 ]
- Change in quality of life [ Time Frame: Day 1, day 15 and day 29 ]Quality of Life will be assessed with the Clinical COPD Questionnaire
- Change in forced expiratory volume [ Time Frame: Day 1, day 15 and day 29 ]Assessed by spirometry
- Change in inflammatory markers [ Time Frame: Day 1, day 15 and day 29 ]Assessed by C-reactive protein
- Change in forced vital capacity [ Time Frame: Day 1, day 15 and day 29 ]Assessed by spirometry
- Change in plasma nitrate and nitrite [ Time Frame: Day 1, day 15 and day 29 ]Assessed by chemiluminescence
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02521532
|Respiratory & Sleep Diagnostics Department, Connolly Hospital|
|Dublin, Ireland, D15|
|Principal Investigator:||Liam Cormican, MD||Respiratory & Sleep Diagnostics Department, Connolly Hospital, Dublin 15, Ireland|