Dementia in Long Term Care Facilities: Telemedicine for the Management of Neuropsychiatric Symptoms (DETECT)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02472015|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : June 15, 2015
Last Update Posted : July 16, 2019
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Dementia||Procedure: telemedicine||Not Applicable|
During a 6-months period, patients will be included in both arms, whenever they present a disruptive NPS that requires a specialist consultation based on the long-term care facility (LTCF) staff judgment. In the intervention group, a telemedicine (TM) consultation between the LTCF staff (medical and nurse staff) and the Memory Center from the University Hospital, will occur at inclusion (T0). Then, a second TM consultation will occur at 1 month (T1). In the control group management of NPS will be done as usual care. In both groups, patients' parameters such as non-programmed hospitalizations and/or consultations due to disruptive NPS, psychotropic drugs use, and health costs, will be evaluated at inclusion, 1 month and at 2 months. Acceptability of the TM among the LTCF staff will be assessed during the study in the intervention group.
The two university hospitals are composed of a group of institutions for elderly people located near Toulouse and Limoges.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||200 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||Dementia in Long Term Care Facilities: Telemedicine for the Management of Neuropsychiatric Symptoms.|
|Study Start Date :||June 2015|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||November 2017|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||November 2019|
No Intervention: normal care
patients who will have normal care
patients who will have telemedicine
psycho-behavioural care by telemedicine
- Acceptability of the TM among the LTCF staff [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Acceptability of the telemedicine (TM) among the LTCF staff which will be assessed in the intervention group by quantitative indicators (proportion of the solicitation of the TM solution among patients with disruptive NPS, the delay to obtain a TM consultation and the number of the staff participants at each TM consultation) and qualitative indicators (staff global satisfaction will be evaluated by focus groups and interviewing).
- Rate of non-programmed hospitalizations and/or consultation due to disruptive NPS [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Calculation of the rate of non-programmed hospitalizations and/or consultation due to disruptive NPS in both groups
- The psychotropic drugs used [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Description of psychotropic drugs used in both groups
- describe the health costs [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Description of the health costs in both groups
- describe the estimation of the cluster effect ("design effect") [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Estimation of the cluster effect ("design effect") in both groups
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02472015
|Limoges, France, 87042|
|Toulouse, France, 31300|
|Principal Investigator:||Maria Soto, MD||University Hospital, Toulouse|