A Study of Atezolizumab Versus Observation as Adjuvant Therapy in Participants With High-Risk Muscle-Invasive Urothelial Carcinoma (UC) After Surgical Resection (IMvigor010)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02450331|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : May 21, 2015
Results First Posted : November 18, 2020
Last Update Posted : February 16, 2023
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- Study Results
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Carcinoma, Transitional Cell||Drug: Atezolizumab||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||809 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase III, Open-Label, Multicenter, Randomized Study of Atezolizumab (Anti-PD-L1 Antibody) Versus Observation as Adjuvant Therapy in Patients With High-Risk Muscle-Invasive Urothelial Carcinoma After Surgical Resection|
|Actual Study Start Date :||October 5, 2015|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||November 30, 2019|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||June 14, 2022|
Participants will receive intravenous (IV) atezolizumab on Day 1 of each 21-day cycle for 16 cycles (up to 1 year).
Atezolizumab will be administered at a dose of 1200 milligrams (mg).
Other Name: TECENTRIQ®; MPDL3280A
No Intervention: Observation
Participants will undergo observation starting on Day 1 for 16 cycles (up to 1 year).
- Disease-Free Survival (DFS), as Assessed by Investigator [ Time Frame: Randomization up to first occurrence of DFS event (up to approximately 50 months) ]DFS is defined as the time from randomization to the time of first occurrence of a DFS event. DFS events include: local (pelvic) recurrence of UC (including soft tissue and regional lymph nodes); urinary tract recurrence of UC (including all pathological stages and grades); distant metastasis of UC; or death from any cause. Tumor assessment will be performed using radiographic evaluations.
- Overall Survival (OS) [ Time Frame: Randomization until death due to any cause (up to approximately 50 months) ]Overall survival is defined as the time from randomization to the date of death from any cause, regardless of whether the death occurs during study treatment or following treatment discontinuation.
- Disease-Specific Survival (DSS), as Assessed by Investigator [ Time Frame: Randomization until death due to UC (up to approximately 50 months) ]DSS is defined as the time from randomization until the date of death from UC.
- Distant Metastasis-Free Survival (DMFS) [ Time Frame: Randomization up to diagnosis of distant metastases or death from any cause (up to approximately 50 months) ]DMFS is defined as the time from randomization to the date of diagnosis of distant (that is, non-locoregional) metastases or death from any cause. Tumor assessment will be performed using radiographic evaluations.
- Non-Urinary Tract Recurrence-Free Survival (NURFS) [ Time Frame: Randomization up to time of first occurrence of a NURFS event (up to approximately 50 months) ]NURFS is defined as the time from randomization to the time of first occurrence of a NURFS event. NURFS events include: local (pelvic) recurrence of UC (including soft tissue and regional lymph nodes); distant metastasis of UC; or death from any cause. Tumor assessment will be performed using radiographic evaluations.
- Percentage of Participants With Adverse Events (AEs) [ Time Frame: Screening up to approximately 50 months ]Percentage of participants with at least one Adverse Event.
- Percentage of Participants With Anti-Therapeutic Antibodies (ATAs) to Atezolizumab [ Time Frame: Baseline up to approximately 50 months ]Percentage of participants with anti-therapeutic antibodies to atezolizumab.
- EuroQol 5-Dimension 5-Level (EQ-5D-5L) Visual Analogue Scale Score [ Time Frame: Day 1 of Cycle 1 up to approximately 50 months (Cycle length = 21 days) ]The EQ-5D-5L is a generic preference-based HRQoL questionnaire that provides a single index value for health status and is used to inform pharmacoeconomic evaluations and to measure general health status. Visual analog scale (VAS) allows the patient to indicate, on a scale of 0-100, how his or her health is on the day of assessment, with 100 being the "best imaginable health state" and 0 being the "worst imaginable health state."
- Minimum Observed Serum Atezolizumab Concentration (Cmin) [ Time Frame: Pre-dose (Hour 0) on Day 1 of Cycles 1, 2, 3, 4, every 8 cycles from Cycle 8, at treatment discontinuation, 120 days after treatment discontinuation (up to approximately 50 months))(Cycle length = 21 days) ]Minimum observed serum atezolizumab concentration (Cmin) prior to infusion on Day 1 of Cycles 1, 2, 3, and 4; every 8 cycles starting on Cycle 8; at treatment discontinuation; and at 120 days after the last dose of atezolizumab.
- Maximum Observed Serum Atezolizumab Concentration (Cmax) [ Time Frame: Day 1 of Cycle 1 (Cycle length = 21 days) ]Maximum observed serum atezolizumab concentration (Cmax) after infusion on Day 1 of Cycle 1.
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years and older (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
- Histologically confirmed muscle-invasive UC (also termed transitional cell carcinoma) of the bladder or upper urinary tract (i.e., renal pelvis or ureters)
- For participants treated with prior neoadjuvant chemotherapy: tumor stage of ypT2-4a or ypN+ (ypT2-4 or ypN+ for participants with upper urinary tract UC) and M0
- For participants who have not received prior neoadjuvant chemotherapy: tumor stage of pT3-4a or pN+ (pT3-4 or pN+ for participants with upper urinary tract UC) and M0
- Representative formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tumor specimens from surgical resection (i.e., radical cystectomy, nephroureterectomy, or lymph node dissection) in paraffin blocks (blocks preferred) or at least 15 unstained slides, with an associated pathology report, for central testing and determined to be evaluable for tumor programmed death-ligand 1 (PD-L1) expression prior to study enrollment
- Absence of residual disease and absence of metastasis, as confirmed by a negative baseline computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging scan of the pelvis, abdomen, and chest no more than 4 weeks prior to randomization
- Full recovery from cystectomy or nephroureterectomy within 14 weeks following surgery
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group performance status of less than or equal to (</=) 2
- Life expectancy greater than or equal to (>/=) 12 weeks
- Adequate hematologic and end-organ function
- For women who are not postmenopausal or surgically sterile: agreement to remain abstinent or use contraceptive methods that result in a failure rate of less than (<) 1 percent (%) per year during the treatment period and for at least 5 months after the last dose of atezolizumab
- Any approved anti-cancer therapy within 3 weeks prior to initiation of study treatment
- Adjuvant chemotherapy or radiation therapy for UC following surgical resection
- Treatment with any other investigational agent or participation in another clinical trial with therapeutic intent within 28 days or five half-lives of the drug prior to enrollment
- Malignancies other than UC within 5 years prior to Cycle 1, Day 1
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding
- Significant cardiovascular disease
- Severe infections within 4 weeks prior to Cycle 1, Day 1
- Major surgical procedure other than for diagnosis within 28 days prior to Cycle 1, Day 1
- History of severe allergic, anaphylactic, or other hypersensitivity reactions to chimeric or humanized antibodies or fusion proteins
- Known hypersensitivity to biopharmaceuticals produced in Chinese hamster ovary cells or any component of the atezolizumab formulation
- History of autoimmune disease
- Prior allogeneic stem cell or solid organ transplant
- History of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, organizing pneumonia, drug-induced pneumonitis, idiopathic pneumonitis, or evidence of active pneumonitis on screening chest CT scan
- Positive test for human immunodeficiency virus and/or active hepatitis B or hepatitis C or tuberculosis
- Administration of a live, attenuated vaccine within 4 weeks before Cycle 1 Day 1
- Prior treatment with cluster of differentiation 137 (CD137) agonists or immune checkpoint blockade therapies, including anti-CD40, anti-cytotoxic T-lymphocyte-associated protein 4 (anti-CTLA-4), anti-programmed death-1 (anti-PD-1), and anti-PD-L1 therapeutic antibodies
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02450331
|Study Director:||Clinical Trials||Hoffmann-La Roche|
Documents provided by Hoffmann-La Roche:
|Responsible Party:||Hoffmann-La Roche|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
2014-005603-25 ( EudraCT Number )
|First Posted:||May 21, 2015 Key Record Dates|
|Results First Posted:||November 18, 2020|
|Last Update Posted:||February 16, 2023|
|Last Verified:||February 2023|
Carcinoma, Transitional Cell
Neoplasms, Glandular and Epithelial
Neoplasms by Histologic Type
Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors
Molecular Mechanisms of Pharmacological Action
Antineoplastic Agents, Immunological