Nintedanib and Capecitabine in Treating Patients With Refractory Metastatic Colorectal Cancer
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02393755|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : March 19, 2015
Last Update Posted : January 15, 2019
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Colon Adenocarcinoma Rectal Adenocarcinoma Recurrent Colon Carcinoma Recurrent Rectal Carcinoma Stage IVA Colon Cancer Stage IVA Rectal Cancer Stage IVB Colon Cancer Stage IVB Rectal Cancer||Drug: Capecitabine Other: Laboratory Biomarker Analysis Drug: Nintedanib Other: Pharmacological Study||Phase 2|
I. To estimate the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) and examine the dose-limiting toxicities of nintedanib when administered with capecitabine within the study population and, establish the recommended phase II dose (RP2D). (Phase I) II. To assess progression free survival at 18 weeks. (Phase II)
I. To assess median progression free survival. (Phase II) II. To assess median overall survival from the date of enrollment to the time of death will be documented. (Phase II) III. To assess the objective response rate as measured by Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST) version (v) 1.1. (Phase II) IV. To assess the toxicity of dose regimen using the Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program (CTEP) National Cancer Institute (NCI) Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE version 4.0). (Phase II)
I. Measurement of circulating angiogenic cytokines (CAFs): vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), soluble vascular endothelial growth factor receptor (sVEGFR) 1/2, placental growth factor (PlGF), granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GMCSF), leptin, interleukin (IL)-1 alpha (a), IL-8, IL-6, fibroblast growth factor basic (FGFb), osteopontin and pentraxin-3. (Phase II) II. Measurement of drug levels and pharmacokinetic (PK)/pharmacodynamic (PD) modeling. (Phase II)
OUTLINE: This is a phase I, dose-escalation study of nintedanib followed by a phase II study.
Patients receive capecitabine orally (PO) twice daily (BID) (every 12 hours) on days 1-14 and nintedanib PO BID (every 12 hours) on days 1-21. Courses repeat every 21 days in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed up at 30 days, every 28 days until resolution or satisfactory stabilization of persistent drug-related toxicity, and then every 6 months thereafter.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||39 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase I/II Study of Nintedanib and Capecitabine in Refractory Metastatic Colorectal Cancer|
|Actual Study Start Date :||May 8, 2015|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||November 1, 2017|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||April 1, 2019|
Experimental: Treatment (capecitabine, nintedanib)
Patients receive capecitabine PO BID (every 12 hours) on days 1-14 and nintedanib PO BID (every 12 hours) on days 1-21. Courses repeat every 21 days in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Other: Laboratory Biomarker Analysis
Other: Pharmacological Study
- Progression free survival (PFS) rate, defined as the proportion of patients who survive without disease progression via the RECIST version 1.1 (Phase II) [ Time Frame: At 18 weeks ]Will be summarized using standard Kaplan-Meier methods.
- RP2D of nintedanib in combination with capecitabine (Phase I) [ Time Frame: 21 days ]The RP2D will be considered tolerable if dose-limiting toxicities are observed in at most 1 of 6 patients completing at least 2 treatment cycles at that dose level. Toxicity will be graded according to the CTCAE version 4.0.
- Aggregate rates of adverse events measured by CTCAE version 4.0 (Phase II) [ Time Frame: Up to 30 days after the last dose of study drug ]The frequency of toxicities will be tabulated by grade across all dose levels and cycles. The frequency of toxicities will also be tabulated for the dose estimated to be the MTD. The observed toxicities and adverse events will be reported as frequencies and relative frequencies, with toxicity rates estimated by 90% Wilson confidence intervals.
- Median OS (Phase II) [ Time Frame: From the date of enrollment to the time of death, assessed up to 2 years ]Estimates of median OS will be obtained with corresponding 90% confidence intervals.
- Median PFS (Phase II) [ Time Frame: Up to 2 years ]Estimates of median PFS will be obtained with corresponding 90% confidence intervals.
- Overall survival (OS) [ Time Frame: Time from treatment until the survival event or censoring, assessed up 2 years ]Will be summarized using standard Kaplan-Meier methods.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02393755
|United States, California|
|City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center|
|Duarte, California, United States, 91010|
|United States, New York|
|Roswell Park Cancer Institute|
|Buffalo, New York, United States, 14263|
|Principal Investigator:||Patrick Boland||Roswell Park Cancer Institute|