SGI-110 in Adults With Untreated Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML), Not Considered Candidates for Intensive Remission Induction
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02348489|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 28, 2015
Results First Posted : January 14, 2021
Last Update Posted : January 14, 2021
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Leukemia, Myeloid, Acute||Drug: SGI-110 (guadecitabine) Drug: Treatment Choice||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||815 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase 3, Multicenter, Open-label, Randomized Study of SGI-110 Versus Treatment Choice (TC) in Adults With Previously Untreated Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Who Are Not Considered Candidates for Intensive Remission Induction Chemotherapy|
|Actual Study Start Date :||March 19, 2015|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||May 31, 2018|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||June 17, 2019|
Experimental: SGI-110 (guadecitabine)
Guadecitabine 60 mg/m^2 administered subcutaneously (SC) daily for 5 days (Days 1-5) in 28-day cycles.
Drug: SGI-110 (guadecitabine)
Investigational medicinal product
Active Comparator: Treatment Choice
One of the following treatment regimens: 20 mg cytarabine administered subcutaneously (SC) twice daily (BID) on Days 1-10 every 28 days; 20 mg/m^2 decitabine given as a 1-hour intravenous (IV) infusion daily on Days 1-5 every 28 days; or 75 mg/m^2 azacitidine given IV or SC daily on Days 1-7 every 28 days.
Drug: Treatment Choice
Choice of one: cytarabine, decitabine, or azacitidine
- Number of Participants With a Complete Response (CR) [ Time Frame: Up to 38 months (median follow-up of 25.5 months) ]Number of participants with a best response of CR assessed based on International Working Group 2003 acute myeloid leukemia (AML) response criteria by a blinded independent pathologist.
- Overall Survival [ Time Frame: At 676 death events (up to 38 months) ]Survival time was defined as the number of days from the day the participant was randomly assigned to study treatment to the date of death, regardless of cause.
- Number of Participants With Composite CR (CRc) [ Time Frame: Up to 38 months (median follow-up of 25.5 months) ]CRc is reported as the number of participants with a best response of CR, complete response with incomplete platelet recovery (CRp), or complete response with incomplete blood count recovery (CRi).
- Number of Days Alive and Out of the Hospital [ Time Frame: Month 6 ]The date of each hospital admission and discharge was collected for each participant for up to 6 months, unless the participant died or withdrew consent prior to that time. Duration of each hospital stay in days was calculated as date of discharge minus date of admission. The Number of Days Alive and Out of the Hospital (NDAOH) was calculated as: NDAOH=180 - total duration of all hospital stays within 180 days from the first treatment - number of death days before Day 180. For subjects who were lost to follow-up within 6 months, the NDAOH was calculated conservatively assuming that the subject would have died the day after the last contact day.
- Progression-free Survival (PFS) [ Time Frame: Up to 38 months (median follow-up of 25.5 months) ]Progression-free survival was defined as the number of days from randomization to the earliest date of investigator's assessment of disease progression, participant receiving an alternative anti-leukemia therapy (including hematopoietic cell transplant), or relapse by peripheral blood (PB) assessment or blinded bone marrow (BM) assessment, whichever occurred first, or death, regardless of cause.
- Number of Red Blood Cell or Platelet Transfusions [ Time Frame: Month 6 ]The total number of red blood cells (RBCs) transfused or, separately, the total number of platelets transfused up to the 6-month time point for each participant was counted from the date of randomization to Day 180, the date of last contact, or date of death, whichever occurred earlier. One RBC or platelet transfusion was defined as one unit, and a single bag of RBCs or platelets was considered one unit.
- Change in Health-related Quality of Life (QOL) Scores From Baseline: EQ-5D-5L [ Time Frame: Baseline to Month 6 ]EuroQol 5-level 5-dimension (EQ-5D-5L) descriptive scores were collected for each participant for a minimum of 6 months, unless the participant died or withdrew consent. Scores within each dimension for EQ-5D (mobility, self-care, usual activity, pain/discomfort, anxiety/depression) were calculated using counts and proportions. Mean change in scores from baseline are summarized in which an index score of 0 represents the worst health state and 1 represents the best health state.
- Change in Health-related Quality of Life (QOL) Scores From Baseline: EQ-VAS [ Time Frame: Baseline to Month 6 ]EuroQol-Visual Analogue Scale (EQ-VAS) descriptive scores were collected for each participant for a minimum of 6 months, unless the participant died or withdrew consent. A vertical 20-cm scale for EQ-VAS was used where the lowest value of 0 was labeled "the worst health you can imagine" and the top value of 100 was labeled "the best health you can imagine." Mean change in scores from baseline are summarized.
- Duration of CR [ Time Frame: Up to 38 months (median follow-up of 25.5 months) ]Duration of CR (in number of days) was calculated from the first time a CR was observed to the time of relapse, defined as the earliest time point whereby BM assessment or PB assessment indicated relapse/disease progression due to reappearance of leukemic blasts in PB or ≥ 5% leukemic blasts in BM.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02348489