Team, Competence and Safety Climate in the Operating Room
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02329691|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 1, 2015
Last Update Posted : March 21, 2017
|Condition or disease|
This study will assess the underlying safety climate in one operating ward at Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Göteborg. The Safety Attitude Questionnaire (SAQ) Operating Room version will be used to assess baseline safety climate. The use of the WHO check list will be investigated and documented according to a pre-defined CRF (case record form).
After this evaluation, changes in the WHO checklist will be performed. The changes will include educational efforts and involving focus groups to receive suggestions on improvements of the WHO checklist. The revised version of the WHO checklist will be implemented. To evaluate effects of the changes the SAQ will once again be distributed to the involved personnel.
The main objective is to explore, describe, educate and thereby improve the safety climate in the operating room. The setting is one of the operating room departments in Sahlgrenska University Hospital Gothenburg. The project includes to following parts:
- To assess baseline regarding the safety climate at a surgical ward at the Sahlgrenska University Hospital.
- Educational efforts on safety climate, team work, communication, and WHO check list by lectures and focus group discussions involving the OR team members to get input and suggestions on improvements of the WHO checklist.
- To explore differences in safety attitudes between different professions working in the OR.
- To identify areas for improvement in team work, communication and other non-technical skills.
- To re-implement the WHO check list with the aim to obtain more focus on the importance of teamwork and knowledge about the patient and procedure.
- To compare results from SAQ after implementation of safety related objectives with SAQ baseline data.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||125 participants|
|Official Title:||Team, Competence and Safety Climate in the Operating Room|
|Study Start Date :||December 2014|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||November 2015|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||November 2016|
Changes in the WHO checklist
Specific changes in the WHO checklist will be performed after observational studies to enhance the WHO checklist at the specific institution
- Positive change in the Safety Attitudes Questionnaire [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02329691
|Dept. of Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital/Ostra|
|Gothenburg, Sweden, SE 416 85|
|Principal Investigator:||Eva Angenete||Sahlgrenska Universitetssjukhuset/Östra|