Effect of Electroacupuncture Combined With Donepezil for Treating Alzheimer's Disease
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02305836|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : December 3, 2014
Last Update Posted : May 16, 2017
A prospective randomized controlled trial aimed at assessing if electroacupuncture (EA) combined with donepezil is more effective than donepezil for improving the cognitive function of AD patients. The hypothesis of this study is as follow:
- Is the short-term effect of EA combined with donepezil better than donepezil on improving cognitive function of patients with Alzheimer's disease after 12 weeks' treatment?
- Whether the effect of EA combined with donepezil on improving cognitive function can last until the end of 6 months' follow-up?
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Cognitive Impairment||Procedure: acupuncture Drug: donepezil||Phase 2|
- Patient registry: Participants experiencing cognitive impairment will be recruited will be recruited at Guang'anmen Hospital, Beijing, China, via web or posters. A neurologist will make the diagnosis. Randomization will be performed by the pharmacological assessment center at Guang'anmen Hospital.
- Sample size: The calculation of sample size is based on the primary outcome that the change from baseline in ADAS-cog. According to previous studies , 39% of patients showed an improvement of at least 4 points on the ADAS-cog after treating by donepezil. We estimated the rate 39% in the donepezil group and 55% in the EA combined with donepezil group. 304 participants were needed to provide 80% power at a significant level of 5% using analysis of variance. The total sample size required for the study is 334 (167 each group) assuming a 10% loss to follow-up.
- Investigators participating in this trial will take a strict course about the process of randomization, manipulation of electroacupuncture, selection of patients, the whole process of this trial and request for filling out case report form in order to improve the internal consistency of observation between different researchers.
- The process of randomization will be under a rigorous control.
- This trial has a specific inclusion and exclusion criteria.
- Both outcome assessors and statisticians will be blinding.
- Patients will sign the informed consent voluntarily and a good relationship between researchers and patients will be established in order to improve patients' compliance. Participants will have a detailed record of the contact information easy for follow-up.
- The standard of the drugs, acupuncture apparatus, inspection equipment are consistent for the patients in the two groups.
- Outcome assessment, completion of case report forms and data management will be under a rigorous supervision.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||334 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||The Effect of Electroacupuncture Combined With Donepezil on Cognitive Function in Alzheimer's Disease Patients: Study Protocol for a Randomized Controlled Trial|
|Estimated Study Start Date :||June 2017|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||June 2019|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 2019|
Experimental: Electroacupuncture combined with donepezil
Every session will last for 30 minuets and will be given every other day. There are 36 sessions for each participant in all (3 session per week, 12 weeks).
For GV16, the needle in length of 25mm will be inserted obliquely and downward towards mandibular direction slowly to a depth of 0.5. And the needle will be pulled out after "de qi" without being retained. For Shang Yintang, GV20 and GV24, the needle will be inserted with a 30°angle to a depth of about 0.5 cun to the subperiosteum until the patients have a strong sense that the needle is being heavily pressed. For EX-HN5 and KI 4 in both sides, the needle will be outward and obliquely inserted to the same depth of 1 cun and the needle will be manipulated with an even lifting and thrusting method to make the patients feel soreness and distention. The electric stimulator will be put on GV20, GV24 and EX-HN5 in both sides with a spare-dense wave, 10/50 Hz, 0.5-5.0 mA. The current intensity will be increased until the patients can not stand.
Other Name: electroacupuncture
Active Comparator: donepezil
Donepezil will be given once daily before bed-time for the first 4-6 weeks. Based on the treatment effect, the dosage may be increased to 10 mg once daily before bed-time for the next 6-8 weeks. Donepezil will be taken for continuous 24 weeks. The full course of treatment is 36 weeks.
cholinesterase inhibitors (ChE-Is)
Other Name: Aricept
- change of total ADAS-cog score from baseline [ Time Frame: week 12 ± 3 days ]The maximum score of ADAS-cog is 70 including 15 items of cognitive dysfunction assessment. The higher values indicate higher degree of deficit.
- change of total MMSE score from baseline [ Time Frame: week 12 ± 3 days ]MMSE score are commonly used for estimating the severity of cognitive impairment with maximum score of 30. The questions in this scale included orientation to time, orientation to place, attention and calculation, recall of three words and visual construction.
- change of total MMSE score from baseline [ Time Frame: week 36 ± 3 days ]
- change of total ADCS-ADL score score from baseline [ Time Frame: week 12 ± 3 days ]ADCS-ADL score contains 19 domains about assessment of basic and operational ability of daily living.
- change of total ADCS-ADL score score from baseline [ Time Frame: week 36 ± 3 days ]
- change of total QoL-AD score score from baseline [ Time Frame: week 12 ± 3 days ]QOL-AD score which includes physical health, mental health, social and financial assessment and QOL domains is completed by both patients and caregivers.
- change of total QoL-AD score score from baseline [ Time Frame: week 36 ± 3 days ]
- change of total ADAS-cog score from baseline [ Time Frame: week 36 ± 3 days ]
- Safety related evaluation of electroacupuncture as measured by number of participants with adverse events. [ Time Frame: from week 1 up to week 12 ]Adverse reactions related with electroacupuncture such as fainting, haematomas, and local infection, the score of VAS more than 8 and other symptoms lasting for 1 hour or longer after acupuncture will be recorded in a designed table.
- Safety related evaluation of Donepezil as measured by number of participants with adverse events. [ Time Frame: from week 1 up to week 36 ]Adverse reactions such as fasciculation, diarrhoea, fatigue, nausea, vomit and insomnia related to Donepezil will be be recorded in a designed table.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02305836
|Contact: Weina Pengemail@example.com|
|Guang'an Men Hospotal Affiliated to China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences||Recruiting|
|Beijing, China, 100053|
|Contact: Weina Peng 86-18610935028 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Study Director:||Weina Peng||Guang'an Men Hospotal Affiliated to China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences|