A Feasibility Study for Growth Bone Vertically With Titanium Mesh and Allograft in Lower Posterior Jaw
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02255149|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : October 2, 2014
Results First Posted : April 19, 2016
Last Update Posted : March 10, 2017
This study will involve placing donor bone into the back of lower jaw then covering with a newly designed titanium mesh. The mesh will then stay in the mouth for 4 months before it will be removed. Implants will be placed in the newly formed bone.
The goal of this study is to test how well using a newly designed titanium mesh and bone particles can grow bone in the back of the lower jaw. The investigators are also checking if the newly formed bone will stay around implants that will have been in use for 12 months.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Alveolar Bone Loss||Device: Bone/Mesh||Not Applicable|
- Patients are at least 18 years old
- At least two adjacent back teeth in the lower jaw are missing
- No medical contraindication to dental surgery
- Inadequate vertical ridge height at edentulous region (less than 10mm)
- Unstable systemic diseases or conditions that would compromise the healing potential
- Patients with osseous metabolic disorders (e.g., osteoporosis, Paget's disease etc.)
- Patients who are pregnant or expect to get pregnant
- Patients with unstable dental disease (e.g. caries and periodontitis) in the surgical sextant
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||10 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Vertical Ridge Augmentation Using Titanium Mesh and Allograft in Posterior Mandible: A Feasibility Study|
|Study Start Date :||September 2011|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||November 2014|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||November 2014|
Allograft and Titanium mesh will be used to grow jaw bone vertically.
A titanium mesh (Ti-Mesh) that is more porous than other materials will be placed in order to hold a spot for the bone particles to grow.
- Bone Height [ Time Frame: 5 months ]Diameter of the bone measured from the alveolar crest to the inferior alveolar nerve after the grafting procedures from CBCT images.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02255149
|Principal Investigator:||Hsun-Liang Chan, DDS, MS||University of Michigan|