COVID-19 is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation.
Get the latest public health information from CDC:

Get the latest research information from NIH: Menu

Clinical Trial of Pancreatic Cancer in Stockholm. (SPP)

The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details. Identifier: NCT02162823
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 13, 2014
Last Update Posted : August 31, 2017
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
Matthias Löhr, Karolinska University Hospital

Brief Summary:

SPP study includes incidence cases of pancreatic cancer in the Stockholm county region from 2007 to 2014. The purpose of SPP study is to estimate relative risk of pancreatic cancer in relation to snuff dipping, overweight/obesity, individual food items, food groups, dietary pattern and various nutrients; to estimate relative risk of pancreatic cancer in relation to exposure to nitrosamines, either endogenously or exogenously; to estimate relative risk of pancreatic cancer in relation to oral health and H.pylori infection and their interaction with ABO blood type; to estimation relative risk of pancreatic cancer in relation to hepatitis B or hepatitis C infection; to estimate relative risk of pancreatic cancer in relation to some genetic polymorphisms, either functional or being suggested in GWAS study; to estimate mutation profile in pancreatic cancer cases, and its correlation with environmental exposures, and the impacts on survival periods in pancreatic cancer patients.

The MeSH name is Carcinoma, Pancreatic Ductal

Condition or disease Intervention/treatment
Pancreatic Cancer Procedure: Pancreatic Surgery

Detailed Description:

The SPP study is a prospective population-based case-control study. We include incident cases of pancreatic cancer in the Stockholm county region during 2008 to 2014. Controls are randomly selected from general population in the Stockholm region, and individually matched to cases by age and sex.

Cases selection. The criteria for cases selection including those are age less than 85 years, born in Sweden and presently living in the county of Stockholm. The cases of pancreatic cancer are first identified within the framework of the clinical healthcare system of the Stockholm County. Through a network, consisting of all surgical clinics and the only oncological clinic in the Stockholm county area, we were able to include a vast majority of cases diagnosed with radiological methods, he or she were asked to participate in the study. After informed consent is obtained from the patient, the study coordinator at the Karolinska University Hospital at Huddinge was notified. The coordinator will inform Statistics Sweden interviewer to interview the case patient. Further, after radiological diagnosis of pancreatic cancer, we try to retrieve a tumor biopsy for every case. In total around 30% of the cases are surgically resected and of the remaining 70% of the patients treated with a palliative intention and among which more than 80% are biopsied using fine needle aspiration (the remaining 20% not biopsied for practical reasons such as clinical deterioration), thus resulting in a total proportion of patients in which tumor tissue is retained of close to 90%.

Control selection. The control persons (non-cancer patients) are randomly identified via the Statistics Sweden. For each case, a gender- and age-matched (same birth year) control person will be identified randomly from the general population of the Stockholm County.

Data collection. Through professional interviewers from the Statistics Sweden, interviews were conducted concerning environmental factors with both cases and control persons. As soon as the study coordinator identified a case of pancreatic cancer and the patient has accepted to participate, Statistics Sweden is contacted about this patient's identify and location. Professional interviewers, blinded to the research hypotheses of the study, will then contact and go to the patient at home, at the hospital or wherever the patient is and perform the interview which is calculated to take around 1 hour and 15 minutes. The questionnaire contains items concerning demographics, socioeconomic factors, physical activity, height and weight history, tobacco and snuff use, dental health, earlier and concomitant diseases and medication history. A structured food frequency questionnaire, a modified version of a previously evaluated questionnaire, including 63 food and beverage items of interest, are used to evaluate dietary habits 20 years prior to interview.

Once a case has been identified, a set of up to 5 controls (same sex and birth year) from Stockholm general population will be selected by the Statistics Sweden. The control persons in the list are contacted by order, until a control person agrees to participate in our study. The interviewers will perform the interview in exactly the same way for the cases.

For each case and control, if they agree, 20 ml of blood are collected. The samples are separated into serum and cells (red and white together) and aliquot into 4 separate serum (for subsequent protein analysis) samples and 2 cell samples after Ficoll gradient (for subsequent DNA and RNA analysis) and immediately frozen to -80°C. Control persons that decline leaving a blood sample are instead offered to leave a saliva sample, from which DNA can be extracted and analyzed.

Layout table for study information
Study Type : Observational [Patient Registry]
Actual Enrollment : 600 participants
Observational Model: Case-Control
Time Perspective: Prospective
Target Follow-Up Duration: 5 Years
Official Title: Prospective Populationbased Study on Pancreatic Cancer in Stockholm- Mutation Profiling Characteristics, Biobanking and Risk Factors.
Study Start Date : May 2007
Actual Primary Completion Date : February 2017
Actual Study Completion Date : February 2017

Resource links provided by the National Library of Medicine

Group/Cohort Intervention/treatment
Pancreatic cancer
Patients with pancreatic cancer and age&sex-matched controls without any cancer from a distinct population area (district of Stockholm). Patients with pancreatic cancer will be subjected to pancreatic surgery
Procedure: Pancreatic Surgery
Surgical removal of the pancreatic tumour (cancer) in the intervention group
Other Names:
  • Pancreatic head resection
  • Whipple procedure
  • Pancreatic resection

Primary Outcome Measures :
  1. Survival [ Time Frame: 5 years ]

Secondary Outcome Measures :
  1. Factors influencing survival [ Time Frame: 5 years ]

Biospecimen Retention:   Samples With DNA
Germline DNA and tumour DNA (PDAC patients). Saliva and urine (DNA).

Information from the National Library of Medicine

Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.

Layout table for eligibility information
Ages Eligible for Study:   18 Years to 85 Years   (Adult, Older Adult)
Sexes Eligible for Study:   All
Accepts Healthy Volunteers:   No
Sampling Method:   Non-Probability Sample
Study Population
Population based cohort of all patients with pancreatic cancer within the district of Stockholm and age and gender matched healthy controls.

Inclusion Criteria:

  • pancreatic cancer patients that aged less than 85 years old born in Sweden living in Stockholm
  • written informed consent

Exclusion Criteria:

  • pancreatic cancer older than 85 years
  • pancratic cancer younger than 18 years
  • not willing to participate

Information from the National Library of Medicine

To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.

Please refer to this study by its identifier (NCT number): NCT02162823

Layout table for location information
Karolinska University Hospital, Gastrocentrum
Stockholm, Sweden, 14186
Sponsors and Collaborators
Karolinska University Hospital
Layout table for investigator information
Principal Investigator: Matthias Löhr, Professor Karolinska University Hospital
Study Director: Magnus Nilsson, ass prof Karolinska University Hospital
Additional Information:

Layout table for additonal information
Responsible Party: Matthias Löhr, Professor, Karolinska University Hospital Identifier: NCT02162823    
Other Study ID Numbers: 2006/1089-31/4
2006/1089-31/4 ( Other Identifier: Swedish Ethic committee )
First Posted: June 13, 2014    Key Record Dates
Last Update Posted: August 31, 2017
Last Verified: August 2017
Keywords provided by Matthias Löhr, Karolinska University Hospital:
The MeSH name is Carcinoma, Pancreatic Ductal
Additional relevant MeSH terms:
Layout table for MeSH terms
Pancreatic Neoplasms
Digestive System Neoplasms
Neoplasms by Site
Endocrine Gland Neoplasms
Digestive System Diseases
Pancreatic Diseases
Endocrine System Diseases