Most People With Low Back Pain Have Associated Cervicothoracic Musculoskeletal Dysfunction: an Observational Study
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02128438|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : May 1, 2014
Last Update Posted : May 1, 2014
In general , the diagnosis of back pain can be broken into three major categories: Mechanical ( Osteoarthritis , Spinal stenosis , Spondylolisthesis) ; Non- mechanical ( Tumor , Infection , Inflammatory arthritis ) and Miscellaneous (Osteoporosis , Psychosomatic disorders , neuropathic joints , visceral diseases ). Although 98% of LBP may be caused by mechanical factors, it is the other 2% caused by malignancy, infection, visceral diseases and other red herrings that must be considered most seriously.
The investigators have observed in their practice that lateral pressure on 5th lumbar vertebra sometimes gives rise to cervicothoracic pain and central PA pressure over cervicothoracic spines reproduce original low back and leg pain. So the question arises whether Cervico-thoracic dysfunction is associated with low back pain with or without radiation to lower extremities?
|Condition or disease|
|Low Back Pain|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||940 participants|
|Official Title:||Most People With Low Back Pain Have Associated Cervicothoracic Musculoskeletal Dysfunction: an Observational Study|
|Study Start Date :||February 2007|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||September 2012|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||September 2012|
- incidence of cervico-thoracic dysfunction in patients with low back pain [ Time Frame: The outcome measure, viz. the incidence of cervico-thoracic dysfunction was ascertained immediately at the time of initial physical assessment. No follow-up was required. ]incidence of cervico-thoracic dysfunction in patients with low back pain with or without radiation down the lower extremity, which is characterized by reproduction of the original symptom by central PA pressure of cervicothoracic spines and digital pressure by algometer over levator scapulae
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT02128438
|Olatpur, Cuttack Dt, Odisha, India, 754010|
|Principal Investigator:||Patitapaban Mohanty, PhD||Swami Vivekanand National Institute of Rehabilitation Training and Research|
|Study Chair:||Basant K Behera, M.S (Ortho)||SCB medical college and hospital, Cuttack|