A Study of PCI-32765 (Ibrutinib) Versus Rituximab in Relapsed or Refractory Chronic Leukemia/Lymphoma
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01973387|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : October 31, 2013
Results First Posted : February 23, 2017
Last Update Posted : July 24, 2018
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma||Drug: Rituximab Drug: Ibrutinib||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||160 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Randomized, Multicenter, Open-Label, Phase 3 Study of the Bruton's Tyrosine Kinase (BTK) Inhibitor PCI-32765 (Ibrutinib) Versus Rituximab in Patients With Relapsed or Refractory Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia/Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma|
|Actual Study Start Date :||October 28, 2013|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||December 1, 2015|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||August 11, 2017|
|Experimental: Treatment Arm A||
Up to 6 cycles (total of 8 doses administered by intravenous infusion): 375 mg/m2 on Day 1 of Cycle 1, 500 mg/m2 on Day 15 of Cycle 1 (Weeks 1-4); 500 mg/m2 on Day 1 and Day 15 of Cycle 2 (Weeks 5-8); and 500 mg/m2 on Day 1 of Cycles 3-6 (Weeks 9-24).
|Experimental: Treatment Arm B||
420 mg capsules administered by mouth daily until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity, whichever occurs first.
- Progression-free Survival (PFS) [ Time Frame: From the date of randomization to the date of disease progression or death, whichever was first reported (Up to 3.7 years) ]Progression-free survival was defined as the interval between the date of randomization and the date of disease progression or death, whichever was first reported. International Workshop on Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (IWCLL) 2008 criteria for progressive disease (PD): New enlarged nodes greater than (>)1.5 centimeter (cm), new hepatomegaly or splenomegaly, or other organ infiltrates; greater than or equal to (>=)50 percent (%) increase from nadir in existing lymph node or >=50% increase from nadir in sum of product of diameters of multiple nodes; >=50% increase from nadir in enlargement of liver or spleen; >=50% increase from baseline in lymphocyte count (and to >=5*10^9/L) unless considered treatment-related lymphocytosis; New cytopenia (Hemoglobin b [Hgb] or platelets) attributable to chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and transformation to a more aggressive histology.
- Overall Response Rate (ORR) [ Time Frame: From the date of randomization to disease progression (Up to 3.7 years) ]ORR defined as number of participants achieving a complete response (CR), complete response with incomplete marrow recovery (CRi), nodular partial response (nPR) or partial response (PR). IWCLL 2008 criteria: CR- No lymphadenopathy and hepatosplenomegaly, no constitutional symptoms, neutrophils >1.5*10^9/liter (L), platelets >100*10^9/L, Hgb >11 gram per deciliter (g/dL) and absolute lymphocyte count <4000/microliter (mcL); CRi- CR with incomplete recovery of bone marrow; nPR- participants meet criteria for CR, but the bone marrow biopsy shows B-lymphoid nodules, may represent a clonal infiltrate; PR- >=50% drop in lymphocyte count from baseline or <=4.0*10^9/L with following: >=50% decrease in sum products of up to 6 lymph nodes, no new enlarged lymph nodes, When abnormal, >=50% decrease in enlargement of spleen from baseline or normalization and a response in 1 of following: Neutrophils >1.5*10^9/L, Platelets>100000/mcL and Hgb>11 g/dL or >=50% improvement over baseline in all.
- Overall Survival (OS) [ Time Frame: From the date of randomization to the date of death (Up to 3.7 years) ]Overall survival was defined as the interval between the date of randomization and the date of death from any cause.
- Number of Participants With Sustained Hematologic Improvement [ Time Frame: From the date of randomization to disease progression (Up to 3.7 years) ]Sustained hematologic improvement was defined as hematological improvement that was sustained continuously for greater than or equal to (>=) 56 days without blood transfusion or growth factors: 1) Platelet counts greater than (>)100* 109/liter (L) if baseline less than or equal to (<=) 100*109/L or increase >= 50 percent (%) over baseline; 2) Hemoglobin >11 gram per deciliters (g/dL) if baseline <= 11 g/dL or increase >= 2 g/dL over baseline.
- Number of Participants With Clinically Relevant Shifts in Disease-Related Symptoms [ Time Frame: From the date of randomization to disease progression (Up to 3.7 years) ]The most common disease-related symptoms associated with chronic lymphocytic leukemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma (CLL/SLL) (fatigue, weight loss, fevers, night sweats, and abdominal discomfort/splenomegaly) were reported by grade.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01973387
|Tweed Heads, Australia|
|Unk Hangzhou, China|
|Johor Bahru, Malaysia|
|Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Subang Jaya, Malaysia|
|Study Director:||Janssen Research & Development, LLC Clinical Trial||Janssen Research & Development, LLC|