Efficacy and Safety of LCZ696 Compared to Valsartan, on Morbidity and Mortality in Heart Failure Patients With Preserved Ejection Fraction (PARAGON-HF)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01920711|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : August 12, 2013
Last Update Posted : May 29, 2019
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction||Drug: LCZ696 Drug: Valsartan||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||4822 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-blind, Parallel Group, Active-controlled Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of LCZ696 Compared to Valsartan, on Morbidity and Mortality in Heart Failure Patients (NYHA Class II-IV) With Preserved Ejection Fraction|
|Actual Study Start Date :||July 18, 2014|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||May 31, 2019|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||May 31, 2019|
Single Blind Run-in Period (3-8 weeks): Patients will start on Valsartan 80 mg b.i.d. for 1-2 weeks followed by LCZ696 100 mg b.i.d. for 2-4 weeks prior to randomization into the Double Blind period (up to 57 months). Patients can only be randomized from the run-in period if they meet all of the run-in safety criteria. Target dose of LCZ696 during the double blind period is 200 mg b.i.d.
LCZ696 50mg, 100mg and 200 mg dosage strengths will be available for dose adjustments.
Active Comparator: Valsartan
Single Blind Run-in Period (3-8 weeks): Patients will start on Valsartan 80 mg b.i.d. for 1-2 weeks followed by LCZ696 100 mg b.i.d. for 2-4 weeks prior to randomization into the Double Blind period (up to 57 months). Patients can only be randomized from the run-in period if they meet all of the run-in safety criteria. Target dose of Valsartan during the double blind period is 160 mg b.i.d.
Valsartan 40mg, 80mg and 160mg dosage strengths will be available for dose adjustments.
- Cumulative number of primary composite events of cardiovascular (CV) death and total (first and recurrent) HF hospitalizations. [ Time Frame: Total follow up time (up to 57 months) ]The primary objective of this study is to compare LCZ696 to valsartan in reducing the rate of the composite endpoint of CV death and total (first and recurrent) HF hospitalizations, in HF patients (New York Heart Association [NYHA] Class II-IV) with preserved ejection fraction (left ventricular ejection fraction [LVEF] ≥45%). The treatment arm with the lower rate of events will be deemed as having a successful response.
- Change in the clinical summary score from baseline to Month 8 by Kansas City Cardiomyopathy Questionnaire (KCCQ) [ Time Frame: Baseline, 8 months ]Evaluation of change from baseline to month 8 in KCCQ a most sensitive, specific, and responsive health-related quality of life measure for heart failure symptoms and physical limitations.
- Change from baseline to Month 8 in New York Heart Association (NYHA) functional class [ Time Frame: Baseline, 8 months ]Evaluation of change from baseline to Month 8 in NYHA functional class, a well established grading scale used to classify a HF patients' level of functionality based on the signs and symptoms of HF exhibited by the patient.
- Time to first occurance of a composite renal endpoint [ Time Frame: Total follow up time (up to 57 months) ]
Evaluate significance of outcome modifying agents in worsening renal dysfunction.
Composite renal endpoint defined as follows:
- renal death, or
- reaching ESRD, or
- ≥50% decline in eGFR relative to baseline
- Time to all-cause mortality [ Time Frame: Total follow up time (up to 57 months) ]Evaluation of the time to all cause death.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01920711
Show 809 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Novartis Pharmaceuticals||Novartis Pharmaceuticals|