Short- and Long-Term Impact of Subtotal Parathyroidectomy on the Achievement of Bone and Mineral Parameters Recommended by Clinical Practice Guidelines in Dialysis Patients
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01872429|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 7, 2013
Last Update Posted : June 7, 2013
|Condition or disease|
- A retrospective chart review of dialysis patients including referred cases, receiving surgical PTX, which was performed by one surgeon at the Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, a 1084-bed tertiary-care medical center in northern Taiwan will be performed.
- Serum levels of calcium, phosphorus and intact parathyroid hormone were routinely measured for three consecutive post-operative days and subsequent laboratory values were checked during out-patient follow-up period. Patients with postoperative 6-month laboratory data are included in the short-term group and those with more than 6-month available data are in the long-term one.
- The National Kidney Foundation Kidney Disease Outcomes Quality Initiative (NKF-K/DOQI™) Clinical Practice Guidelines provided recommended target values for serum intact parathyroid hormone (iPTH)(150-300 pg/ml), phosphorus (3.5-5.5 mg/dl), calcium (8.4-9.5 mg/dl) and the calcium-phosphorus product (<55 mg2/dl2). The Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO) Clinical Practice Guidelines suggested maintaining serum calcium in the reference range (8.5-10.5 mg/dl), phosphorus (2.7-4.5 mg/dl) and PTH values in the range of two to nine times the upper reference limit (130 - 585 pg/ml) in dialysis patients.
- The investigators evaluated the impact of subtotal PTX on the control of bone and mineral parameters in dialysis patients with secondary HPT as the percentages of cases achieving the recommended K/DOQI and KDIGO targets.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||401 participants|
|Study Start Date :||November 2012|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||April 2013|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||April 2013|
Patients with postoperative 6-month laboratory data were included in the short-term group
Patients with postoperative more than 6-month laboratory data were included in the long-term group
- The percentages of cases achieving the recommended K/DOQI and KDIGO targets for bone mineral parameters after subtotal PTx [ Time Frame: Twelve year period after surgery ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01872429
|Far Eastern Memorial Hospital|
|New Taipei City, Taiwan|