Putting Life in Years (PLINY): Telephone Friendship Groups Research Study (PLINY)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01754753|
Recruitment Status : Terminated (Due to lack of volunteer facilitators to deliver the intervention)
First Posted : December 21, 2012
Last Update Posted : May 13, 2016
The National Institute for Health Research commissioned this research with the following research question: "What is the relative effectiveness and cost effectiveness of home based support programmes in improving the mental wellbeing of older people living in their own homes?"
The project will evaluate whether telephone friendship groups, delivered by the voluntary sector over the telephone, can improve the mental wellbeing of older people aged 75 or over.
The research will also:
- Identify the psychosocial and environmental factors, as well as implementation issues that may mediate or modify the effectiveness of the intervention using qualitative methods. This will include examining: 1.1. Assess voluntary sector readiness to take forward new forms of services; 1.2. The best modes of delivery of telephone support/friendship; 1.3. Assess how volunteers (facilitators) can be supported and retained; and, 1.4. The extent to which fidelity of the intervention is maintained within and across the participating organisations.
- Determine if there is any lasting impact upon mental wellbeing by repeat measurement with all participants 12 months following baseline measurement
- Examine whether there is any significant improvement on the physical dimension of the SF-36 at 6 months and 12 months, following baseline measure, for the intervention arm compared with usual care.
- Measure the extent of use of health and social care, and community facilities by participants over time to determine whether the intervention is cost effective compared with usual care.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Self Efficacy Loneliness||Other: Telephone Friendship groups||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||157 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||Evaluation of the Effectiveness and Cost Effectiveness of an Intervention to Promote Mental Wellbeing in Community Living Older People.|
|Study Start Date :||June 2012|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||April 2013|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||April 2013|
Active Comparator: Telephone friendship groups
Participants allocated to telephone friendship groups will take part in 12 weekly group telephone discussions. The participant will be called, by a trained Age UK Sheffield volunteer, in their own home. The group discussions will take place for about an hour each week and involve between 6-8 participants. Participants will be introduced to weekly group calls by the volunteer who will call each participant individually for around 20 minutes each week for up to six weeks before the group is established.
The group may have a particular focus or talk about different topics each week. The individual participants are joined together through a teleconferencing system (provided by Community Network).
Other: Telephone Friendship groups
No Intervention: Usual health and social care
Participants allocated to the control arm will not receive any research intervention. However, they will participate in the research by completing questionnaires about their health and wellbeing.
- SF-36 Mental health dimension [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline of SF36 at 6 months ]
- Other dimensions of the SF-36 (and specifically physical health) [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline in SF36 other dimensions at 6 months ]
- EQ-5D for health economic analysis [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline in EQ-5D at 6 months ]
- General Perceived Self Efficacy (GSE) Scale [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline in GSE at 6 months ]
- Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline in PHQ-9 at 6 months ]
- De Jong loneliness scale [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline in De Jong at 6 months ]
- Health and social care resource use [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline in resource use at 6 months ]
- Telephone friendship group call costs question [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline in costs able/willing to pay at 6 months ]
- ONS Wellbeing question [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline in ONS wellbeing at 6 months ]Standard question used by Office for National Statistics to examine subjective wellbeing of the general population in the UK.
- Socio demographic questionnaire including a self report of health status [ Time Frame: Baseline ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01754753
|The University of Sheffield|
|Sheffield, United Kingdom, S1 4DA|
|Principal Investigator:||Gail A Mountain||University of Sheffield|