Efficacy Study of Ifabond in Breast Cancer Surgery (Ifabond)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01742975|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : December 6, 2012
Last Update Posted : August 26, 2016
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Breast Cancer Lymphocele||Device: IFABOND (TM)||Not Applicable|
Breast cancer patients will be selected at their preoperative visit with the surgeon, who will inform them about the study and answer their questions.
Patients who consent to participate will be randomized to one of two arms:
- Arm A: Applying Ifabond
- Arm B: Without Ifabond
Patients will be stratified according to these two criteria:
- Axillary Lymph Node Dissection planned (ALND)
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
The following parameters will be measured:
- ECOG status and Blood Pressure at day 3(day 7 in case of ALND), day 15 and day 30 post surgery
- Volume of drainage at day 3 and at (day 7 in case of ALND)post surgery
- Discomfort alleged by the patient at day 3(day 7 in case of ALND), day 15 and day 30 post surgery
- Lymphocele volume measured by ultrasound at day 15 and day 30 post surgery
- If the volume is ≥ 100cc, a needle aspiration will be performed, and the volume of aspirate will be documented.
- Adverse events and concomitant medications will be collected throughout the study until 30 days after the last ultrasound.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||104 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||A Randomized Study Evaluating the Efficacy of the Synthetic Adhesive Solution Ifabond, in Reducing Seroma Formation Post Surgery in Breast Cancer Patients, When Used in Partial Mastectomy With or Without Axillary Lymph Node Dissection|
|Study Start Date :||November 2011|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||April 2015|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||February 2016|
Experimental: Arm A: Applying Ifabond
The synthetic adhesive solution Ifabond, will be applied at the end of conventional breast cancer surgery for arm A patients.
Device: IFABOND (TM)
The synthetic adhesive solution Ifabond, will be applied at the end of conventional breast cancer surgery for arm A patients
Other Name: An authorized device with CE labeling.
No Intervention: Arm B: without Ifabond
The synthetic adhesive solution Ifabond, will not be applied at the end of conventional breast cancer surgery in arm B patients.
- Change in seroma formation [ Time Frame: Day 3 (or 7 in case of axillary lymph node dissection), day15 and day 30 post surgery ]The volume of drain at Day 3 (or 7 in case of axillary lymph node dissection) post surgery will be documented, then patients will have an ultrasound exam at day 15 and day 30 (+or- 2 days) to measure seroma.
- Change in discomfort alleged by the patient [ Time Frame: day 3 (or 7), day 15 and day 30 ]Patients will be asked if they feel any discomfort in relation to seroma formation at Day 3 (or 7 in case of axillary lymph node dissection),day15 and day 30 (-or- 2 days) post surgery.
- Change in the number of needle aspiration required [ Time Frame: day 15 and day 30 ]The number of needle aspiration required at day 15 and day30 (-or- 2 days) post surgery will be documented.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01742975
|Hôpital Euroépen Marseille|
|Marseille, Paca, France, 13003|
|Centre de Chirurgie Gynecologique Et Des Maladies Du Sein|
|Grenoble, Rhône-Alpes, France, 38000|
|Principal Investigator:||Michel CONTE, MD||Hôpital Européen Marseille|