Alternative Treatments of Vitamin D Deficiency
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01512537|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 19, 2012
Last Update Posted : January 19, 2012
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Vitamin D Deficiency||Radiation: Narrowband UVB Dietary Supplement: Vitamin D and calcium||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||32 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Investigator)|
|Primary Purpose:||Basic Science|
|Official Title:||Comparison of UVB and Vitamin D Supplementation in Treatment of Vitamin D Deficiency|
|Study Start Date :||February 2010|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||April 2011|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||November 2011|
Active Comparator: UVB
UVB exposed group
Radiation: Narrowband UVB
UVB 3 times a week
Other Name: NB-UVB
Active Comparator: Oral vitamin D tablet
Vitamin D supplementation
Dietary Supplement: Vitamin D and calcium
1 daily tablet of 1600 IU vitamin D3 and 1000 mg calcium
Other Name: Vitamin D supplementation
- Vitamin D (nmol/l). [ Time Frame: Week 0 ]Vitamin D was measured in a bloodsample to determine baseline status.
- Vitamin D (nmol/l) [ Time Frame: Week 3 ]Vitamin D was measured in a bloodsample to follow the change from baseline in vitamin D level at week 3.
- Vitamin D [ Time Frame: Week 6 ]Vitamin D was measured in a bloodsample to follow the change from baseline in vitamin D level at week 6.
- Parathyroid hormone (pmol/l). [ Time Frame: Week 0, 3 and 6. ]To investigate whether parathyrodiea hormone changes during the study.
- Albumin (g/l). [ Time Frame: Week 0, 3 and 6. ]To investigate whether albumin changes during the study.
- Calcium (mmol/l) [ Time Frame: Week 0, 3 and 6. ]To investigate whether calcium changes during the study.
- Hemoglobin A 1c (percentage HbA1c of total hemoglobin). [ Time Frame: Week 0, 3 and 6. ]To investigate whether HbA1c changes during the study.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01512537
|Department of Dermatology, Lund University Malmoe|
|Malmoe, Sweden, 205 02|
|Study Chair:||Åke Svensson, Assoc. Prof., MD, PhD||Department of Dermatology, Lund University, Malmoe|