Use of a Training Video to Teach Medical Students About Health Literacy
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01460953|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : October 27, 2011
Last Update Posted : October 16, 2015
- Briefly describe the purpose of this protocol: This study is designed to evaluate the effectiveness of an educational training video on the topic of health literacy for medical students.
- Briefly summarize how participants are recruited: OHSU medical students attending mandatory trainings on the topic of health literacy during the 1st and 2nd years of medical school will be invited to participate in the study.
- Briefly describe the procedures subjects will undergo: Completion of a short self-administered anonymous survey before and after viewing a 23-minute video about health literacy.
- If applicable, briefly describe survey/interview instruments used: A 12-item pre-test questionnaire and 13-item post-test questionnaire designed to assess individuals' knowledge about health literacy, and intended clinical practices with respect to health literacy.
- If this is a clinical trial using an experimental drug and/or device, or an approved drug and/or device used for an unapproved purpose, briefly describe the drug and/or device: n/a
- Briefly describe how the data will be analyzed to address the purpose of the protocol: Demographics and responses to individual items will be reported as frequencies and percentages within the sample. The investigators will use a chi-square analysis to stratify responses by demographic groups and t-tests to measure possible changes over time.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Health Literacy||Behavioral: health literacy training video||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||110 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Primary Purpose:||Health Services Research|
|Official Title:||Use of a Training Video to Teach Medical Students About Health Literacy|
|Study Start Date :||October 2011|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||October 2012|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||October 2012|
Experimental: training intervention
Students participating in didactic training
Behavioral: health literacy training video
participants will watch a training video
- Change in knowledge [ Time Frame: immediately following the intervention, and at 12-month follow-up ]The investigators will measure knowledge about health literacy before and after an educational intervention
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01460953
|United States, Oregon|
|OHSU School of Medicine|
|Portland, Oregon, United States, 97201|
|Principal Investigator:||Clifford A Coleman, MD, MPH||Oregon Health and Science University|