Use of a Training Video to Teach Medical Students About Health Literacy
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01460953|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : October 27, 2011
Last Update Posted : October 16, 2015
- Briefly describe the purpose of this protocol: This study is designed to evaluate the effectiveness of an educational training video on the topic of health literacy for medical students.
- Briefly summarize how participants are recruited: OHSU medical students attending mandatory trainings on the topic of health literacy during the 1st and 2nd years of medical school will be invited to participate in the study.
- Briefly describe the procedures subjects will undergo: Completion of a short self-administered anonymous survey before and after viewing a 23-minute video about health literacy.
- If applicable, briefly describe survey/interview instruments used: A 12-item pre-test questionnaire and 13-item post-test questionnaire designed to assess individuals' knowledge about health literacy, and intended clinical practices with respect to health literacy.
- If this is a clinical trial using an experimental drug and/or device, or an approved drug and/or device used for an unapproved purpose, briefly describe the drug and/or device: n/a
- Briefly describe how the data will be analyzed to address the purpose of the protocol: Demographics and responses to individual items will be reported as frequencies and percentages within the sample. The investigators will use a chi-square analysis to stratify responses by demographic groups and t-tests to measure possible changes over time.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Health Literacy||Behavioral: health literacy training video||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||110 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Primary Purpose:||Health Services Research|
|Official Title:||Use of a Training Video to Teach Medical Students About Health Literacy|
|Study Start Date :||October 2011|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||October 2012|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||October 2012|
Experimental: training intervention
Students participating in didactic training
Behavioral: health literacy training video
participants will watch a training video
- Change in knowledge [ Time Frame: immediately following the intervention, and at 12-month follow-up ]The investigators will measure knowledge about health literacy before and after an educational intervention
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01460953
|United States, Oregon|
|OHSU School of Medicine|
|Portland, Oregon, United States, 97201|
|Principal Investigator:||Clifford A Coleman, MD, MPH||Oregon Health and Science University|