Centrifugation vs. Multiple-pass Hemofiltration of the Residual Cardiopulmonary Bypass Volume
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01416792|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : August 15, 2011
Last Update Posted : April 1, 2013
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Coronary Artery Disease Heart Valve Diseases||Procedure: Centrifugation Procedure: Multiple-pass hemofiltration||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||61 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Care Provider)|
|Official Title:||Outcomes & Biochemical Parameters Following Cardiac Surgery: Effects of Transfusion of Residual Blood Using Centrifugation and Multiple-Pass Hemofiltration|
|Study Start Date :||March 2011|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||September 2012|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||October 2012|
|Experimental: Multiple-pass hemofiltration||
Other Name: Cell washing
Procedure: Multiple-pass hemofiltration
The residual volume from the CPB circuit is pumped though a hemofilter for multiple passes removing the crystalloid component thereby concentrating the plasma.
Other Name: Hemofiltration
- Hemoglobin [ Time Frame: Baseline, Hemodilution and 12-hours post-operatively in ICU ]Serum hemoglobin will be measured from the patient at baseline, after hemodilution, and at 12-hours post-operatively in the ICU.
- Albumin [ Time Frame: baseline, hemodilution and 12-hours post-operatively in ICU ]Serum albumin in g/L will be measured at baseline, hemodilution and 12-hours post-operatively in ICU.
- Total Protein [ Time Frame: Baseline, hemodilution, and-12 hours post-operatively in ICU ]Serum total protein will be measured in g/L at the specified time intervals.
- Allogeneic blood products [ Time Frame: 12-hours post-operatively in ICU ]The volume of allogeneic blood products will be recorded.
- Ventilation time [ Time Frame: 12-hours post-operatively in ICU ]The time between intubation in OR and extubation in the ICU.
- Chest tube drainage [ Time Frame: 12-hours post-operatively in ICU ]The total volume of chest tube drainage in ICU.
- Vasoactive Inotrope score [ Time Frame: 12-hours post-operatively in ICU ]We will calculate the vasoactive inotrope score to determine if there is an increased risk of adverse outcomes.
- Length of stay in ICU [ Time Frame: Within 24 hours ]The average time of discharged from ICU.
- Markers of inflammation [ Time Frame: At 12-hours ICU ]Inflammatory mediators: tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha), soluble receptors for advanced glycation end products (sRAGE), and high sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs CRP).
- Indicators of Kidney Function [ Time Frame: 12-hours ICU ]Serum creatinine, creatinine clearance, volume of IV fluid intake, volume of urine output, fluid balance
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01416792
|Royal University Hospital|
|Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, S7N 0W8|