Endothelial Function and Progenitor Cells in Acute Ischemic Stroke (EPCAS)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01289795|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified January 2011 by Charite University, Berlin, Germany.
Recruitment status was: Recruiting
First Posted : February 4, 2011
Last Update Posted : February 4, 2011
|Condition or disease|
Endothelial dysfunction is a key component of atherosclerosis which contributes to the development of cardio- and cerebrovascular diseases. However, endothelial dysfunction (ED) is not established as a risk factor for ischemic stroke.
As a novelty the proposed trial investigates the following variety of indirect markers of endothelial function in acute ischemic stroke:
circulating endothelial progenitor cells (EPC), endothelial microparticles (EMP), ENDOPAT (RH- PAT ratio) in two regards:
- time after ischemic events (< 48h, Days 4-5, day 7 or at discharge)
- etiological stroke subtypes
It is not known whether these parameters are changed after acute cerebral ischemia and could possibly serve as specific target for treatment.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Estimated Enrollment :||30 participants|
|Official Title:||Endothelial Function and Progenitor Cells in Acute Ischemic Stroke|
|Study Start Date :||July 2010|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 2011|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||June 2012|
first-ever ischemic stroke
first-ever ischemic stroke according to the WHO definition
- Levels of cEPC [ Time Frame: <48h, day 4-5, discharge or day 7 ]Levels of cEPC (CD34+/CD133+/VEGF2R+/CD31) in % of mononuclear cells using flow cytometry with respect to stroke subtypes.
- Levels of EMP [ Time Frame: <48h, day 4-5, day 7 or discharge ]Levels of EMP (Annexin V+/CD31+; CD62E+) using flow cytometry with respect to stroke subtypes.
- ENDOPAT [ Time Frame: <48h, day 4-5,day 7 ]Digital pulse volume change (with RH PAT as non invasive measurement (PAT-ratio; ENDOPAT, Itamar Medical Ltd.) for non-invasive, peripheral endothelial function
Biospecimen Retention: Samples Without DNA
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01289795
|Contact: Thomas Liman, MDfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Contact: Matthias Endres, MDemail@example.com|
|Center for Stroke Research Berlin||Recruiting|
|Berlin, Germany, 10117|
|Contact: Thomas Liman, MD 004930450560643 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Principal Investigator: Thomas Liman, MD|
|Principal Investigator:||Matthias Endres, MD||Center for Stroke Research Berlin|