Study of TG-C in Patients With Grade 3 Degenerative Joint Disease of the Knee
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01221441|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : October 15, 2010
Results First Posted : February 15, 2016
Last Update Posted : February 15, 2016
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Osteoarthritis, Knee||Biological: TissueGene-C Drug: Normal Saline||Phase 2|
Protocol TGC09201 is a multi-center, double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized study. A total of one hundred (100) adults with grade 3 chronic degenerative joint disease (DJD) of the knee joint (as determined by radiographic examination) will be enrolled into the study. TissueGene-C will be administered intra-articularly once via x-ray guidance. TissueGene-C will be administered at a dose of 3 x 10e7 cells. Patients receiving control treatment will receive a single normal saline injection.
The objectives of this study are to:
- Evaluate the efficacy of TissueGene-C with regard to knee functionality and symptoms of knee osteoarthritis including pain.
- Evaluate the safety of administration of a single intra-articular dose of TissueGene-C as evidenced by observation of the injection site for irritation or other abnormalities, the incidence and severity of adverse events, and the changes in physical examination findings and laboratory tests, including immune analyses.
- Evaluate the incidence and dose of analgesia and/or anti-inflammatory medication.
- Evaluate the regeneration of hyaline cartilage as determined by 3T magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Evaluate distribution of hChonJb#7 cells out of the injection site.
- Evaluate the efficacy of TissueGene-C by evaluating the need for total knee arthroplasty after treatment
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||102 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Triple (Participant, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||A Phase II Study to Determine the Efficacy and Safety of Allogeneic Human Chondrocytes Expressing TGF-β1 (TissueGene-C) in Patients With Grade 3 Chronic Degenerative Joint Disease of the Knee|
|Study Start Date :||May 2011|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||October 2013|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||October 2014|
TissueGene-C at 3 x 10e7 cells per injection (intraarticular)
Single intraarticular injection at 3 x 10e7 cells
Other Name: TG-C
Placebo Comparator: Placebo Control
Normal Saline injection
Drug: Normal Saline
Single intraarticular injection of normal saline as a placebo control
Other Name: 0.9% Saline
- Change From Baseline in the International Knee Documentation Committee (IKDC) Subjective Knee Evaluation Score at 1 Year [ Time Frame: 1 Year ]Symptoms, pain and function of the knee joint determined and scored using the International Knee Documentation Committee (IKDC) Subjective Knee Evaluation (Total Score, range 0-100 with higher scores better). Linear mixed model used for analysis.
- Change From Baseline in Visual Analog Scale (VAS) Score at 1 Year [ Time Frame: 1 Year ]Reduction in pain as measured by a 100 mm visual analog scale (0= no pain; 100 = extreme pain) from Baseline to 1 Year. Linear mixed model used for analysis.
- Change From Baseline in Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS) at 2 Years [ Time Frame: 2 Years ]Symptoms, pain and functionality of the knee joint as determined by Total Score of the Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS) (Range 0-100 with higher scores indicating healthier outcomes). Linear mixed model used for analysis.
- Change From Baseline in Articular Cartilage Damage in the Knee as Determined by the Lysholm Knee Score at 2 Years [ Time Frame: 2 Years ]Measurement to assess outcomes of various chondral disorders of the knee determined by the Lysholm Knee Scale (Range 0-100 with higher scores better). Linear mixed model used for analysis.
- Comparative Evaluation of Knee Magnetic Resonance Images (MRIs) From Baseline to 1 Year [ Time Frame: 1 Year ]Comparison of pre-procedure 3T MRI scans to those obtained at months 12 following dose administration by an independent radiographic reviewer. Evaluations will be scored using Whole Organ Magnetic Resonance imaging Score (WORMS) Cartilage Morphology Subscore (Range 0-6, with higher scores being worse)
- Change in Pain Severity From Baseline to 2 Years as Assessed by Questionnaire [ Time Frame: 2 Years ]Change in pain severity (on a scale from 1 to 4) from baseline to 2 years as measured by a questionnaire (lower scores better)
- Number of Participants With Change in Pain Severity Measured by Incidence and Dose of Analgesia [ Time Frame: 2 Years ]The number of participants that had a change in pain severity as measured by the incidence and dose of analgesic medications
- Change From Baseline in Knee Function as Determined by the Lower Extremity Functional Scale at 2 Years [ Time Frame: 2 Years ]Assessment of knee function as determined by the Lower Extremity Functional Scale (LEFS); change from baseline to 2 years (Range 0-80 with higher scores signifying lower difficulty in performing knee functions)
- The Incidence of Total Knee Arthroplasty [ Time Frame: 2 Years ]Quantification of the incidence of total knee arthroplasty of the treated knee subsequent to treatment with TissueGene-C
- The Number of Patients Experiencing Injection Site Reactions Related to Treatment [ Time Frame: 2 Years ]The number of patients with observations of the administration site deemed related to treatment with either active or placebo, including arthralgia, swelling, irritation, pain, stiffness or abnormalities
- The Incidence and Severity of Adverse Events in Treated Patients [ Time Frame: 2 Years ]The incidence and severity of adverse events assessed through 104 weeks (2 years) after dose administration
- Number of Participants With Adverse Events Due to Clinically Significant Changes in Hematology and Urinalysis Tests [ Time Frame: 2 Years ]The number of participants with changes in clinical hematology, chemistry, and urinalysis test results through 2 years that were considered Adverse Events
- Change in SF-36 General Health Assessment Questionnaire (Overall Score) From Baseline to 2 Years [ Time Frame: 2 Years ]Overall assessment of general health as determined by scoring use an SF-36 Questionnaire (Range 0-100 with higher scores better - indicating less disability)
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01221441
|United States, Florida|
|Advent Clinical Research|
|Pinellas Park, Florida, United States, 33781|
|United States, Maryland|
|Sinai Hospital of Baltimore|
|Baltimore, Maryland, United States, 21215|
|United States, Pennsylvania|
|Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, 19107|
|State College, Pennsylvania, United States, 16801|
|United States, Virginia|
|Arlington, Virginia, United States, 22205|
|Principal Investigator:||Michael A Mont, MD||Sinai Hospital of Baltimore|
|Principal Investigator:||David W Romness, MD||Commonwealth Orthopedics, Virginia Hospital Center|