Physical Exercise as a Targeted Therapy in Patients With Chronic Rheumatic Muscle Inflammation
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01184625|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified June 2011 by Karolinska Institutet.
Recruitment status was: Recruiting
First Posted : August 19, 2010
Last Update Posted : June 27, 2011
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Myositis||Other: Physical Exercise||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||30 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Single (Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Physical Exercise as a Targeted Therapy in Patients With Chronic Rheumatic Muscle Inflammation|
|Study Start Date :||January 2008|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||January 2012|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||August 2012|
Other: Physical Exercise
12 weeks of physical exercise.
No Intervention: No intervention
12 weeks of stable physical exercise level.
- Hypoxia related metabolites. [ Time Frame: At baseline before intervention. ]
- Hypoxia related metabolites. [ Time Frame: After 12 weeks of endurance exercise intervention/ non intervention. ]
- Muscle impairment. [ Time Frame: At baseline before intervention. ]
- Muscle impairment. [ Time Frame: After 12 weeks of endurance exercise intervention/ non intervention. ]
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||18 Years to 80 Years (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||Yes|
- Patients with chronic, stable polymyositis or dermatomyositis with diagnosis of definite or probable polymyositis or dermatomyositis (Bohan and Peter 1975)
- Age 18-80 years
- Duration since diagnosis > 6 months
- Exercising < once a week,
- Stable disease activity and medication for at least one month.
Ten healthy controls matched for age, gender and physical exercise level will be included.
- Severe pulmonary fibrosis
- Heart or lung conditions that contraindicate vigorous exercise
- Severe osteoporosis
- Not being able to perform the exercise program.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01184625
|Contact: Ingrid E Lundberg, MD, PhD, Prof||+46 8 517700 ext firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Rheumatology unit, Karolinska University Hospital||Recruiting|
|Contact: Ingrid E Lundberg, MD, PhD, Prof +46 8 517700 ext 6087 email@example.com|
|Principal Investigator:||Ingrid E Lundberg, MD, PhD, Prof||Rheumatology Unit, Department of Medicine, in Solna, Karolinska Institutet|
|Responsible Party:||professor Ingrid Lundberg, Karolinska Institutet|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||August 19, 2010 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||June 27, 2011|
|Last Verified:||June 2011|
Nervous System Diseases