Autologous Cultured Mesenchymal Bone Marrow Stromal Cells Secreting Neurotrophic Factors (MSC-NTF), in ALS Patients.
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01051882|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 20, 2010
Last Update Posted : January 10, 2019
- Study Details
- Tabular View
- No Results Posted
- How to Read a Study Record
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis||Biological: MSC-NTF cells transplantation (IM) Biological: MSC-NTF cells transplantation (IT)||Phase 1 Phase 2|
This study is a single center trial to be conducted at the Department of Neurology & Laboratory of Neuroimmunology, at the Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Jerusalem in Israel. All patients enrolled will have a documented history of ALS disease prior to study enrolment. Patients diagnosed as early stage ALS disease with duration of less than 6 months and patients diagnosed with progressive stage ALS disease with duration of 6-12 months. Overall, 24 patients will be recruited and allocated based on their ALS disease severity to 2 treatment groups: Group A - 12 patients of early ALS disease stage and Group B - 12 patients of progressive ALS disease.
Eligible patients will be enrolled into the study and will be observed for every 2 weeks during a "run in period" of 3 months for determination of the progression rate of the disease. During the "run in period" after about 6 weeks following enrollment, patients of both study groups will undergo a Bone Marrow Aspiration procedure and MSC-NTF cells will be produced from the bone marrow aspirate based on Brainstorm Cell Therapeutics Ltd proprietary method. On the last "run in period" visit, patients of both study groups will undergo the treatment and MSC-NTF will be transplanted by IM or IT injection to the early and progressive ALS patients respectively.
After the MSC-NTF transplantation patients will be observed on a monthly basis for a post treatment follow up period of 6 months.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||12 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase I/II, Open Label Study to Evaluate Safety, Tolerability and Therapeutic Effects of Transplantation of Autologous Cultured Mesenchymal Bone Marrow Stromal Cells Secreting Neurotrophic Factors (MSC-NTF), in ALS Patients.|
|Study Start Date :||June 2011|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||December 2012|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||March 2013|
Experimental: MSC-NTF cells IM
Intramuscular administration in early stage patients
Biological: MSC-NTF cells transplantation (IM)
In early ALS subjects: Autologous MSC-NTF cells will be transplanted under mild anesthesia, intramuscularly into patients' clinically unaffected (or only mildly affected) upper arm biceps and triceps muscles according to a pre-designed grid. Intramuscular injections will be by a 26 gauge needle to a 1.5cm depth (ensuring that injection is into muscle and not adipose tissue). The patients will be injected at 24 sites with a total of 24 million cells
Experimental: MSC-NTF cells IT
Intrathecal administration in progressive stage patients
Biological: MSC-NTF cells transplantation (IT)
In progressive ALS subjects: Autologous MSC-NTF cells will be transplanted under mild anesthesia intrathecally(via a standard lumbar puncture)with a total of 60 million cells.
- Safety evaluation and tolerability of a single treatment administration of autologous cultured mesenchymal bone marrow stromal cells secreting neurotrophic factors (MSC-NTF) [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Safety evaluation and tolerability of a single treatment administration of autologous cultured mesenchymal bone marrow stromal cells secreting neurotrophic factors (MSC-NTF) by multiple intramuscular injections (IM) at 24 separate sites on the biceps and triceps muscles to patients with ALS at the early disease stage
- Safety evaluation and tolerability of single intrathecal injection (IT) into the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of autologous cultured mesenchymal bone marrow stromal cells secreting neurotrophic factors (MSC-NTF) [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Safety evaluation and tolerability of single intrathecal injection (IT) into the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of autologous cultured mesenchymal bone marrow stromal cells secreting neurotrophic factors (MSC-NTF),to patients with ALS at the progressive disease stage.
- Changes in the progression rate of the disease as evidenced by changes in the ALS functional rating scale (ALS-FRS) [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- Changes in muscle strength grading (MVIC) by muscle chart [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- Changes in forced vital capacity (FVC %) (In the progressive disease stage group only). [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- Changes in muscle bulk estimated by MRI of the upper and lower extremities [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- Changes in upper and lower extremities circumference (cm) [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- Changes in EMG parameters [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- Need and time to tracheotomy or permanent assisted ventilation [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- Overall survival, calculating time to death [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
|Ages Eligible for Study:||20 Years to 75 Years (Adult, Older Adult)|
|Sexes Eligible for Study:||All|
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:||No|
- El Escorial criteria for definite or probable ALS
- Either men or non pregnant women between 20-75 years of age.
- Patient is mentally intact and psychologically stable
- For early stage ALS- Patients will be with ALS-FRS-R scale of at least 30 and disease duration of less than 2 years.Or, for progressive stage ALS- Patients will be with an ALS-FRS-R scale of 15-30 and disease duration of less than 2 years
- For early stage ALS- Patient has sufficiently bulky muscles. Or, for progressive stage ALS- Patient with at least 60% FVC
- Participant understands the nature of the procedure and provides written informed consent prior to any study procedure.
- Positive test for HBV, HCV, HIV and Mycoplasma.
- High protein in the CSF.
- Lymphocytosis in the CSF.
- Positive for anti-GM1 antibodies.
- Patient has significant conduction blocks or slow nerve conduction velocities (a reduction of more than 30%) confirmed by nerve conduction velocity - EMG studies.
- The patient is a respiratory dependent.
- Renal failure, impaired hepatic function
- Patients suffering from significant cardiac disease, malignant diseases or any other disease that may risk the patient or interfere with the ability to interpret the results
- Active infections.
- Participation in another clinical trial within 1 month prior to start of this study.
- Subject unwilling or unable to comply with the requirements of the protocol.
- Patient has not been treated previously with any cellular therapy.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01051882
|Hadassah Medical Organization|
|Jerusalem, Israel, 91120|
|Principal Investigator:||Dimitrios Karussis, MD, PhD||Hadassah Medical Organization|
|Responsible Party:||Brainstorm-Cell Therapeutics|
|Other Study ID Numbers:||
|First Posted:||January 20, 2010 Key Record Dates|
|Last Update Posted:||January 10, 2019|
|Last Verified:||August 2012|
Mesenchymal Stromal Cells (MSC)
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
Motor Neuron Disease
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Nervous System Diseases
Spinal Cord Diseases
Central Nervous System Diseases