Randomized Clinical Trial of Treatment for Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Disc Displacement
The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government.
Read our disclaimer for details.
The effectiveness of physical therapy for treatment of anterior disc displacement without reduction of temporomandibular disorders has not been well defined. This study compared the treatment method with conservative splint therapy. Fifty two subjects were assigned at random to either of two treatment groups: one is a splint treatment group, and the other is a joint mobilization self exercise group. Each treatment was evaluated using four outcome variables: (i) maximum mouth opening range without and (ii) with pain, (iii) present pain intensity, and (iv) limitation of daily activities. All outcome variables were significantly improved after eight-week of treatment in the exercise group. Meanwhile, the splint treatment improved three variables, other than "mouth opening with pain"; however, the degree of improvement was less than that seen in the exercise group. This result demonstrates that the joint mobilization self exercise improves jaw function and relieves pain as compared to the splint treatment.
Condition or disease
Herniated DiskTemporomandibular Disorders
Behavioral: splint and joint mobilization self exercise
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study. To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contacts provided below. For general information, Learn About Clinical Studies.
Layout table for eligibility information
Ages Eligible for Study:
18 Years and older (Adult, Older Adult)
Sexes Eligible for Study:
(1) male or female over 18 years old;
(2) with mouth opening pain on the TMJ affected side;
(3) over two weeks after the onset of ADDwoR;
(4) with maximum mouth opening of less than 40 mm; and
(5) MRI-confirmed ADDwoR. The
(1) unwilling or unable to receive splint and/or exercise therapy;
(2) with systemic bone or joint disease,
(3) regular medication such as analgesics, anti-anxiety drugs, antidepressants and psychotropics; and
(4) missing teeth and/or a removable denture but having a fixed partial denture restoration over one year.