Combination Chemotherapy as First-Line Therapy in Treating Patients With Locally Advanced or Metastatic Neuroendocrine Tumors of the Duodenum or Pancreas That Cannot Be Removed By Surgery
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00416767|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : December 28, 2006
Last Update Posted : May 30, 2016
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as fluorouracil, leucovorin, and irinotecan, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing. Giving more than one drug (combination chemotherapy) may kill more tumor cells.
PURPOSE: This phase II trial is studying how well combination chemotherapy works as first-line therapy in treating patients with locally advanced or metastatic neuroendocrine tumors of the duodenum or pancreas that cannot be removed by surgery.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Gastrointestinal Carcinoid Tumor Islet Cell Tumor Neoplastic Syndrome||Drug: fluorouracil Drug: irinotecan hydrochloride Drug: leucovorin calcium||Phase 2|
- Determine the 6-month progression-free survival rate in patients with unresectable locally advanced or metastatic neuroendocrine tumors of the duodenum/pancreas treated with fluorouracil, leucovorin calcium, and irinotecan hydrochloride as first-line chemotherapy.
- Determine tumor and biologic response at 6, 12, 18, and 24 months in patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the duration of response of the primary tumor in patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the tolerability of this regimen in these patients.
- Determine the progression-free survival of patients treated with this regimen.
- Determine the overall survival of patients treated with this regimen.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter study.
Patients receive irinotecan hydrochloride IV over 90 minutes and leucovorin calcium IV over 2 hours on day 1 and fluorouracil IV over 46 hours on days 1 and 2. Courses repeat every 14 days in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
After completion of study therapy, patients are followed every 3 months for 1 year and then every 6 months thereafter.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 20 patients will be accrued for this study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||20 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Study of First-Line Therapy Comprising Leucovorin Calcium, Fluorouracil, and Irinotecan (FOLFIRI) in Patients With Progressive Locally Advanced or Metastatic Duodenal-Pancreatic Endocrine Tumors|
|Study Start Date :||May 2004|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||January 2006|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||July 2007|
Drug: irinotecan hydrochloride
Drug: leucovorin calcium
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00416767
|Study Chair:||Guillaume Cadiot||CHU - Robert Debre|