Temozolomide in Treating Young Patients With High-Risk Relapsed or Refractory Neuroblastoma
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00276679|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 13, 2006
Last Update Posted : September 17, 2013
RATIONALE: Drugs used in chemotherapy, such as temozolomide, work in different ways to stop the growth of tumor cells, either by killing the cells or by stopping them from dividing.
PURPOSE: This phase II trial is studying how well temozolomide works in treating patients with high-risk relapsed or refractory neuroblastoma.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Neuroblastoma||Drug: temozolomide||Phase 2|
- Determine the anti-tumor activity of temozolomide in young patients with high-risk relapsed or refractory neuroblastoma.
- Determine the duration of response in patients treated with this drug.
- Determine tolerability of this drug in these patients
- Determine the tumor expression of the cellular repair mechanisms which repair DNA damage (O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase [MGMT] and mismatch repair [MMR] systems) in patients treated with this drug.
- Correlate MGMT and MMR expression with outcomes in patients treated with this drug.
- Determine if MGMT and MMR expression/activity changes in the tumor during initial presentation, treatment, and relapse/progression in patients treated with this drug.
- Determine the activity of MGMT in bone marrow taken at relapse, in terms of hematological toxicity, in patients treated with this drug.
OUTLINE: This is a multicenter, open label, nonrandomized study.
Patients receive oral temozolomide once daily for 5 days. Treatment repeats every 28 days for 2 courses. Patients achieving stable or responding disease after completion of the 2 courses may receive up to 10 additional courses of treatment in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
PROJECTED ACCRUAL: A total of 25 patients will be accrued for this study.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Phase II Study of Temozolomide (Temodal) in Children Over 1 Year of Age With Relapsed or Refractory High Risk Neuroblastoma|
|Study Start Date :||April 2003|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||November 2006|
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT00276679
|Study Chair:||Herve Rubie, MD||Centre Hospitalier Regional de Purpan|
|OverallOfficial:||Andrew David J. Pearson, MD, FRCP, DCh||University of Newcastle Upon-Tyne|
|OverallOfficial:||Julia Chisholm, MD||Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust|