Aftercare in the Community Health Center
This is a trial to examine the effects of aftercare for mental health patients in community health center (Leistad). Recruitment occurs among hospitalized patients in psychiatric hospitals (Østmarka). After discharge, patients will be randomly assigned to one of two groups: intervention group (community health center, primary care) or control group (Community mental health centers of District Psychiatric Service, specialist care).
The project's primary objective is to investigate the effect of community services on patients' functional capacity and user satisfaction after discharge. Secondly, the number of treatment days and readmissions to mental health care will be examined. The project will also compare costs of hospitalization, in psychiatric hospital and community health center respectively. Data will be collected from community health records, medical records and patient systems in psychiatric hospital, community mental health centers of District Psychiatric Service (DPS) and questionnaires filled out by patients.
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Endpoint Classification: Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Aftercare in the Community Health Center - a Venue for Identifying and Coordinating Community Services|
- Consumption of community health service [ Time Frame: one year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Measure different types of community health services in hours per week.
- Need for community health services [ Time Frame: one year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Using IPLOS (Norw. individbasert pleie- og omsorgsstatistikk) form with 17 variables to identify patient needs
- User satisfaction [ Time Frame: one year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]A qualitative analysis of interviews of 10 patients who have been admitted to the District Psychiatric Service and community health center.
- Number of treatment days [ Time Frame: One year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Number of treatment days in hospital and District Psychiatric Service compared with number of treatment days in community health center.
- Readmission [ Time Frame: One year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Readmission in hospital.
- The total costs of inpatient and total costs of all health care after discharge [ Time Frame: One year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Costs per day in hospital; Costs per day for District Psychiatric Service; Costs per day in community health center
|Study Start Date:||January 2013|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||May 2014|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||May 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Community Health center
Aftercare in a community Health center
Other: Community Health center
Observation of the functioning and coordination of health care before discharge to own home.
Active Comparator: Control
AFtercare as usual in hospital/Mental health centers of District Psychiatric Service (DPS.
standard aftercare in hospital/mental health centers of District Psychiatric Service (DPS).
|Contact: Eirik Roos, Phd email@example.com|
|Contact: Aslak Steinsbekk, Proffirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Regional Committees for Medical and Health Research Ethics||Recruiting|
|Trondheim, Norway, 7489|
|Contact: Eirik Roos 004795263222 email@example.com|
|Study Director:||Aslak Steinsbekk, prof||NTNU, Department of Public Health and General Practice|