Dovitinib Plus an Aromatase Inhibitor for Metastatic Breast Cancer
This study is for women with confirmed hormone receptor positive HER-2 negative advanced breast cancer with evidence of disease resistance to an aromatase inhibitor.
The purpose of this study is to determine how well these medications work together and/or if they have any side effects in patients with hormone-receptor positive metastatic breast cancer who have demonstrated progression of disease after first line hormonal therapy.
This research is being done to determine if taking an already approved medicine (aromatase inhibitor) in combination with a new medication (dovitinib) results in better outcomes for patients with this disease.
Both dovitinib and an aromatase inhibitor are pills that will be taken at home.
Drug: Aromatase Inhibitors
|Study Design:||Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||A Phase I/II Trial of TKI258 (Dovitinib) in Combination With an Aromatase Inhibitor in Patients With Metastatic Breast Cancer|
- Clinical Benefit Rate [ Time Frame: 24 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Complete response, partial response, or stable disease at 24 weeks from trial entry as defined by RECIST 1.1 criteria
- Recommended Phase 2 dose [ Time Frame: 4 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]The dose of dovitinib at which 1 or less subjects experience a dose limiting toxicity when administered every day for 5 days followed by 2 days off schedule in combination with an aromatase inhibitor
- Toxicities [ Time Frame: 24 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]Toxicities as graded using CTCAE version 4
- Pharmacodynamic effects [ Time Frame: 24 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Expression of pFGFR, pFRS2, pERK in tumor tissue and VEGF, bFGF, PLGF, sVEGFR1/2 and FGF23 levels in plasma
- Progression-free survival [ Time Frame: 24 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Length of time from study entry until progressive disease
|Study Start Date:||April 2012|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||December 2016|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||December 2015 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Dovitinib plus aromatase inhibitor
Dovitinib with aromatase inhibitor
Dovitinib at the recommended Phase 2 dose for 5 consecutive days followed by a 2-day rest period in combination with 1 of the following:
Anastrozole 1 mg daily Exemestane 25 mg daily Letrozole 2.5 mg daily
Other Name: TKI258Drug: Aromatase Inhibitors
The trial will combine dovitinib with an aromatase inhibitor either anastrozole, letrozole, or exemestane
This is a Phase I/Phase II open-label single arm trial of dovitinib in combination with anastrozole 1 mg daily, exemestane 25 mg daily, or letrozole 2.5 mg daily. Study subjects will receive the aromatase inhibitor on which they had previously derived clinical benefit.
|Contact: Nellie Novielli, RN MSNemail@example.com|
|Contact: Julie Castle, RN BSNfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|United States, District of Columbia|
|Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center||Recruiting|
|Washington, District of Columbia, United States, 20007|
|Contact: Nellie Novielli, RN MSN 202-784-3923 email@example.com|
|Contact: Julie Castle, Rn BSN 202-687-2209 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Principal Investigator: Claudine Isaacs, MD|
|Principal Investigator:||Claudine Isaacs, MD||Georgetown University|