Non-Invasive Reduction of Abdominal Fat Utilizing the CoolFlex and eZ App 6.3 Applicators
This study has been completed.
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
First received: June 16, 2011
Last updated: January 4, 2012
Last verified: January 2012
This study is being performed to reduce unwanted abdominal fat using two different applicators for the Zeltiq System.
Fat Reduction in the Abdomen
Device: The Zeltiq System
Endpoint Classification: Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
||Non-Invasive Reduction of Abdominal Fat Utilizing the CoolFlex and eZ App 6.3 Applicators
Primary Outcome Measures:
- Independent imaging review [ Time Frame: 16 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
The primary effectiveness endpoint is the percent of reviews by the reviewers which either identify no clinically significant difference in fat reduction between the two sides of the abdomen, or identify greater fat reduction on the side of the abdomen treated with the CoolFlex applicator at 8 weeks post-treatment. It is expected that the percentage of reviews identifying no clinically significant difference between the two sides of the abdomen or identifying greater fat reduction on the side of the abdomen treated with the CoolFlex applicator at 8 weeks post-treatment will be at least 75%.
Secondary Outcome Measures:
- Overall reduction [ Time Frame: 16 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
Overall reduction in the fat layer thickness on each side of the abdomen, as demonstrated by comparison of pre-treatment and 8- and 16-week post-treatment ultrasound measurements, for all evaluable subjects (i.e., adequate ultrasound imaging data sets).
- Subject satisfaction [ Time Frame: 16 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
Subject satisfaction with the Zeltiq procedure as determined by the results of a subject satisfaction questionnaire at the 8- and 16-week follow-up visits.
| Study Start Date:
| Study Completion Date:
| Primary Completion Date:
||January 2012 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)
The primary objective of the study is to evaluate the performance of the CoolFlex applicator compared to the performance of the eZ App 6.3 applicator in the treatment of abdominal fat in terms of its ability to achieve a discernable change to the contour of the treated area.
|Ages Eligible for Study:
||18 Years to 65 Years
|Genders Eligible for Study:
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:
- Female subjects > 18 years of age and < 65 years of age.
- Subject has clearly visible fat on the abdomen. (Figure 1)
- Subject has not had weight change exceeding 10 pounds in the preceding month.
- Subject agrees to maintain their weight (i.e., within 5 pounds) by not making any major changes in their diet or lifestyle during the course of the study.
- Subject has read and signed a written informed consent form.
- Subject has had a surgical procedure(s) in the area of intended treatment.
- Subject has had an invasive fat reduction procedure (e.g., liposuction, abdominoplasty, mesotherapy) in the area of intended treatment.
- Subject has had a non-invasive fat reduction and/or body contouring procedure in the area of intended treatment within the past 6 months.
- Subject has discernable asymmetry or contour irregularity in the intended treatment area.
- Subject needs to administer, or has a known history of subcutaneous injections into the area of intended treatment (e.g., heparin, insulin) within the past month.
- Subject has a known history of cryoglobulinemia, cold urticaria, or paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria.
- Subject has a known history of Raynaud's disease, or any known condition with a response to cold exposure that limits blood flow to the skin.
- Subject has a history of bleeding disorder or is taking any medication that in the investigator's opinion may increase the subject's risk of bruising.
- Subject body mass index (BMI) exceeds 40. BMI is defined as weight in pounds multiplied by 703 divided by the square of the height in inches.
- Subject is taking or has taken diet pills or supplements within the past month.
- Subject has any dermatological conditions, such as moderate to excessive skin laxity, or scars in the location of the treatment sites that may interfere with the treatment or evaluation.
- Subject is pregnant or intending to become pregnant in the next 6 months.
- Subject is lactating or has been lactating in the past 6 months.
- Subject is unable or unwilling to comply with the study requirements.
- Subject is currently enrolled in a clinical study of any other unapproved investigational drug or device.
- Any other condition or laboratory value that would, in the professional opinion of the investigator, potentially affect the subject's response or the integrity of the data or would pose an unacceptable risk to the subject.
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the Contacts provided below.
For general information, see Learn About Clinical Studies.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01377740
|Arbutus Laser Centre
|Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, V6J IZ6 |
|Institute of Cosmetic and Laser Surgery
|Oakville, Ontario, Canada, L6J 7W5 |
No publications provided
History of Changes
|Other Study ID Numbers:
|Study First Received:
||June 16, 2011
||January 4, 2012
||United States: Institutional Review Board
Keywords provided by Zeltiq Aesthetics:
ClinicalTrials.gov processed this record on October 29, 2014