Evaluating an Expressive Writing Intervention About Communicatively-Restricted Organizational Stressors
This project evaluates the effectiveness of an intervention sought to reduce the physical effects of stress related to those issues that individuals cannot successfully communicate with anyone about. To do this, the investigators will be implementing a writing intervention over the course of the 6-week study. The investigators will be asking all participants to complete questionnaires over the course of the study period. The investigators are also asking participants to provide a small blood sample (from a fingerstick procedure) at two times during the study as well as saliva samples during that same time. The primary research question asks if this intervention procedure is effective. The investigators are evaluating total cholesterol, high sensitivity c-reactive protein, and cortisol.
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Endpoint Classification: Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Single Blind (Investigator)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Evaluating an Expressive Writing Intervention About Communicatively-Restricted Organizational Stressors: A Six-Week Randomized, Controlled Trial|
- Change in Lipids from baseline [ Time Frame: Week 1 and Week 6 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Lipid panel includes total cholesterol, High-density lipoproteins, low-density lipoprotein, and triglycerides.
- Change in high-sensitivity c-Reactive Protein from baseline [ Time Frame: Week 1 and Week 6 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Change in Cortisol Awakening Response from Baseline [ Time Frame: Week 1 and Week 6 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Measurement of Salivary Cortisol (hydrocortisone, compound-F) as a maximum difference between awakening and 30 minutes after awakening.
- Change in Perceived Global Stress over time [ Time Frame: Week 1, Week 3, Week 6 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Psychological measure of stress
- Change in Organizational Stress over time [ Time Frame: Week 1, Week 3, Week 6 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Psychological measure of stress as a function of organizational involvement.
- Change in Perception of Communication Restriction of Stressor over time [ Time Frame: Week 1, Week 3, Week 6 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Restrictedness of a communicative stressor
|Study Start Date:||April 2011|
|Study Completion Date:||June 2012|
|Primary Completion Date:||June 2012 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Expressive Writing
Affectionate Writing Intervention for 20 minutes per day, 2 times per week, 6 weeks.
Other: Expressive Writing
Writing intervention for cognitive appraisal of stressor.
No Intervention: No writing
Control Group -- No writing
|United States, California|
|Santa Clara University, Health Center|
|Santa Clara, California, United States, 95053|
|Principal Investigator:||Justin P Boren, Ph.D.||Santa Clara University|